Skim Milk vs. Silk Almond Milk

Options
Does anyone know if one is better than the other? They both have the same amount of calories but skim milk doesn't have fat and Silk does. Does anybody know if one is better than the other?

Replies

• shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a 'better' just go by what you like/ and or are needing in your diet. I like both, but I use the unsweetened almond milk (30 cal) in my shakes/coffee because it frees up a few calories for other things...like wine. lol :)
  • Robin_Brown72
    Robin_Brown72 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a 'better' just go by what you like/ and or are needing in your diet. I like both, but I use the unsweetened almond milk (30 cal) in my shakes/coffee because it frees up a few calories for other things...like wine. lol :)

Me too! I was hesitant to try the almond milk but I love it with my chocolate protein powder. And like you, I like that it frees up a few calories.

OP - and remember fat isn't bad :).
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I prefer the almond milk because I'm not a milk drinker anyway. I only use the almond milk in smoothies and on cereal and get my calcium/protein in other ways too.
  • PamelaJ413
    Options
    I too think it's a matter of taste. Also worth looking into is the issue of whether or not you feel cows milk is ideal for your body? Different schools of thought there. Please try Silk Coconut Milk now, too! I like it better than the almond and way better than skimmed milk.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do you like the taste of one over the other? I agree with the 30 calorie Almond Milk- if mixed with your shakes/smoothies, recipes, etc, you can't go wrong at only 30 calories! Blue Diamond has a 30 calorie Almond Milk too.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    :huh: i dislike them both... give me whole moo cow tatah **** milk, or keep it to yourself:flowerforyou:
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Hi
    I used to drink dairy milk but started to exhibit signs of lactose intolerance. I tried soy, rice, and almond milks, and found almond was the one I liked the best. Almond milk is excellant if you are trying to decrease you saturated fat an/or cholesterol intake, because it does not have either of those. Yes it has fat but good fat, and as mentioned previously it can be a lower calorie alternative to dairy milk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Matter of taste IMO. Milk has more protein but more calories. I like almond milk in smoothies but can't stand it in cereal, so typically I never finish the carton... so I stick to 2% milk.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I like that the Almond milk only has 30 calories allowing me to eat more actual food. I also like (I think it's Silk) coconut milk & it's around 90 calories.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is better overall. Stick to Almond Breeze unsweetened milk, they have regular, vanilla and chocolate for like 30-40 calories per cup.
  • katielampkin56
    katielampkin56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nice... unsweetened is even less calories. I'll have to try that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    whole milk
  • katielampkin56
    katielampkin56 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the coconut...I will have to give that a try too.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I actually dislike the taste of regular milk, for some reason - I find that it gives me a weird aftertaste in my mouth that I really despise. Almond milk doesn't do that.

I love the Blue Diamond brand - they have an almond/coconut mixture that is to DIE for. :love: I prefer the unsweetened - the sweetened, for me, is too sugary.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened almond mlk.
    I believe that it has more calcium than skim and less calories.
    I like the taste on my cereal and oatmeal.
    It is easy to make it to avoid preservatives.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Almond milk doesn't have as much protein as skim milk does. However, skim milk also has more carbs than almond milk, so it's a wash. Both have a lot of calcium. Depends what you are going for. Taste-wise, I think it is a personal preference. I love milk, so I'd go with the skim milk over the the almond milk for sure!
  • charlicee
    Options
    Neither. I avoid cereals (too processed), I prefer to eat my veggies over juicing them, and I am otherwise lactose intolerant. I like the occasional almond milk, but gave that up when I gave up coffee and cereal.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a dairy farm and I'm team whole milk - raw if I could have a cow in the city limits. I have used almond milk, but I just like real milk. I'm allergic to coconuts and soy so those are totally out. I don't drink it a ton of milk though - on cereal and I put full fat half & half in my coffee. When I started my slow climb to maintenance calories, fat free half & half was the first thing that went out the door. I do use 2% cottage cheese, because for whatever reason, I like that better than 4%, but that's about the only reduced fat dairy I reach for.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. Ive actually been drinking almond milk for a few years (since they came out with it). I grew up on lactaid but orefer the taste of almond milk. I drink the unsweetened 30'calorie one.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Base it off of taste/preference and your dietary needs as a whole.