Hip soreness doing C25K

Options
Hi All;

I'm on Week 2 Day 2 of C25K and I've been really happy with how things are going. I am taking back the joy of running and it feels great!! I haven't had any big problem with shin splints, and even my knee that had reconstructive ACL surgery a few years back has been good.

But my hip is another matter: it's really quite sore, right where my hip joins my waist. I've been told by my massage therapist (who I've gone to for years following a car accident) that it could be something to do with my "illiotibial band" muscle - does that sound right? The hip that is sore is on my left side, which is the same side as my repaired knee, so I'm thinking that my gait must be off some how. My right hip is fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    If it's yur IT band, stretch it. More than likely you're modifying your stride to compensate for the repaired knee, whether you know it or not. It's probably the natural reaction to try to avoid hurting it again. Focus on your form and see if that helps.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    A good way to stretch your IT is to sit in a chair and put your ankle across your knee and then lean forward. I use this stretch before I exercise and it helps my hip sooooo much! Hope you feel better!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much. I will pay more attention to my stride - I'm sure you're right that I am protecting my knee somehow. And that stretch sounds great - I can do that even when I am at work at my desk :)
  • ginger99
    Options
    Sounds like Bursitis Theresa, I had it a few years ago from wearing steel toed shoes that were basically falling apart. It is usually caused by shoes and with all your running the higher impact on the joints as well. I would totally recommend a trip to the chiro and a couple Advil and odds are you will be good in about 48 hours. And ice - lots of ice !!.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had spoken to the massage therapist about the possibility of bursitis the first time it happened and she seemed to think that wasn't it - basically she pressed into one spot on my hip and said if it was bursitis I would be writhing in pain, which I wasn't. On the other hand, icing it sure can't hurt! And it's been a quite a while since I've gone to the chiropractor -that would be a good thing to do again for sure. Thanks!
  • tater8589
    Options
    Because my hips are uneven (due to my spine being curved) one leg is 'shorter' than the other. I tend to have problems with my knee and hip on that side being sore after running. I used to not even be able to walk .25 mile without limping. A chiropractor found it and had made some improvement. However I still have soreness after extreem workouts and/or running up/down hills and uneven ground. Massages work wonders, but I strongly suggest a chiropractor too. If you can, get your massage before (not after) so your muscles will give to your adjustments a little easier. Good luck.