Need a total life overhaul

Options
Where do I even begin? I have dieted and exercised on and off over the years but never really lost a significant amount of weight (23 pounds at the most when I was breastfeeding and doing Weight Watchers 9 years ago). I probably weigh around 181 right now and have been at this weight for a year or so. I am only 5'. I'm not flabby though because I had a tummy tuck and breast reduction a few years ago. My arms and legs are big but solid. (I have such a weird body.) I would like to lose about 35 to 40 pounds but I can't seem to even lose one pound. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which makes losing weight very difficult, even after working with a trainer two days a week for two months. And I have been very depressed and inactive over the winter. I quit my job a year ago due to family issues and haven't really been very social since. (Geez, I sound pathetic.)

Anyway, where do I even start to try losing weight and getting into shape? I always look at peoples before/after pictures, hoping to feel so inspired that something in me just "clicks". But I still just can't seem to find it in myself to be truly dedicated to losing weight. I will do well for a few weeks but then I get horrible PMS cravings and I am so tired from my period, it takes about a week out of my life every month. I have tried medication for PCOS but it had terrible side effects so I can't take it.

I seem to do best on a low carb/high protein diet (until those sweets cravings kick in). I am currently stocked up on fish, eggs, frozen and fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. But I feel like I need some guidance on what to eat. I'm not a picky eater so I welcome any suggestions. I have an elliptical, a weight bench (Bow-flex type thing) and a bunch of workout videos (HipHop Abs, PINK Method, Pilates, etc). I don't have a work-out buddy and don't want to join a gym due to the distance between my house and the closest one. It's like I always plan on working out but then when it comes time to, I feel so tired and sleepy. Actually I feel tired and lethargic all the time. (I've had my thyroid checked several times but it always comes back normal. Both of my parents are on Synthroid though.)

Does anybody have a diet at 1500 calories a day or less that will tell me exactly what to eat and when? What would be the best type of work-out for me? And, most importantly, how do I stay motivated when it takes so long for me to see results? (I saw no weight loss working with the trainer for two months but my clothes were looser and my body firmer.) I get discouraged very easily.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    *eat the foods you like that meet your macros and calorie goal
    *weigh and measure everything that you eat
    *find something you enjoy doing and then do it consistently
    *most importantly - be patient and don't quit

There is not a plan that will work for everyone. You need to find your way by doing what works for you. Good luck.

ETA: As far as motivation - you have that inside of you. It comes and goes so better to build healthy habits in food and exercise. When you are ready to lose the weight - you will.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Start focusing and celebrating every small positive change you make daily. (as small as a five minute walk or not eating the candy bar you usually have) Every day make at least one positive change. It's so easy to jump in with both feet at first, then burn out on overload. There is only so much change a person can do at one time and keep it up long term. The important thing is to do these small changes until they become a habit. Just keep moving forward in a positive direction. I am so glad you like protein because it will help you stave off those sweet cravings. 100 grams per day is good number to try to hit. Try to think of this as a new lifestyle that you will continue forever because you want a lifetime of good health. This is not a diet to drop weight and which you can quit when you are at goal. This is a lifetime of improvement. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    *eat the foods you like that meet your macros and calorie goal
    *weigh and measure everything that you eat
    *find something you enjoy doing and then do it consistently
    *most importantly - be patient and don't quit

There is not a plan that will work for everyone. You need to find your way by doing what works for you. Good luck.

ETA: As far as motivation - you have that inside of you. It comes and goes so better to build healthy habits in food and exercise. When you are ready to lose the weight - you will.

^Condensed o the fewest and most important words possible.

nice :flowerforyou:
  • Jbug1220
    Jbug1220 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You are a great example!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and what you are saying is very familiar.

I have done a number of things to help my weight loss:

>walk 10,000 steps a day (no excuses, get a pedometer) (work your way up to it if you are sedentary)
    >log everything. weigh and measure everything
    >keep a diary or a note of how you are feeling each day and try to map emotional eating (common with PMS and PCOS)
    >allow yourself a treat night (some disagree or agree, find what works for you)
    >Don't be too hard on yourself
    >try to find some exercise you enjoy outside of the 10,000 steps and incorporate it in your life. (mine is weights and pilates)
    >Research the foods that women with PCOS are sensitive to and avoid them. (this was huge for me, a lot of women with PCOS won't lose weight if the calories are coming from certain foods like processed, excessive sugar, high GI. You need to find the info and do a list of good foods for you to eat. After about 3 months of me consistently eating for my condition my periods got so much better as did my moods and motivation.
    >Get some support, wether it be online or real life, you need a buddy.
    >Find other ways to keep you motivated instead the scale and measurements. I use my fitness goals and any extra steps I can do.

My typical day is usually about 1450-1500, feel free to add me if you like. My diary is open and I have just started logging again today after a little break.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would be repeating many of the points below. So instead I will say a few other sideline things which may or may not hit a chord with you. Joining this group is a great start - you need some support from somewhere and making that first step is great! Make mini goals and celebrate your successes! You are doing this for yourself, there will be days where you are on a high and days you will not. Don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others - their judgments of you and your judgments of them. Surround yourself with people who will support you not enable you :) Dare to dream and imagine yourself the way you want to be and with your actions when you catch yourself each day ask yourself - is this the type of thing the person I want to be would do?

(Funny story - and probably not good for pets health sometimes but I share food with my dog and in my brain I feel like I have eaten the whole biscuit when I share it with the Dog - I half my calories with this one little trick on food I want to reduce)
  • amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies and support. I appreciate it all. I am making it my goal to start off with 30 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week. I always feel better after I exercise, I just have to force myself to make that first step on it. I think a combination of PCOS, a cold, dark snow winter, and not working/socializing have lead to depression and low energy. I just got off the elliptical and already feel more energy and a better mood. So weird how exercise has that effect.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies and support. I appreciate it all. I am making it my goal to start off with 30 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week. I always feel better after I exercise, I just have to force myself to make that first step on it. I think a combination of PCOS, a cold, dark snow winter, and not working/socializing have lead to depression and low energy. I just got off the elliptical and already feel more energy and a better mood. So weird how exercise has that effect.

Exercise is definitely a marvellous thing. Have you tried fitnessblender on youtube? They are amazing and have helped with my motivation and energy levels enormously.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I could talk about how exercise releases endorphins and that kind of thing but what really matters is that you are doing something that makes you feel better - does it really matter why? I find listening to some tunes you enjoy gets you into another space and gets you "out of your head" also which is a useful mental break also.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Where do I even begin? I have dieted and exercised on and off over the years but never really lost a significant amount of weight (23 pounds at the most when I was breastfeeding and doing Weight Watchers 9 years ago). I probably weigh around 181 right now and have been at this weight for a year or so. I am only 5'. I'm not flabby though because I had a tummy tuck and breast reduction a few years ago. My arms and legs are big but solid. (I have such a weird body.) I would like to lose about 35 to 40 pounds but I can't seem to even lose one pound. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which makes losing weight very difficult, even after working with a trainer two days a week for two months. And I have been very depressed and inactive over the winter. I quit my job a year ago due to family issues and haven't really been very social since. (Geez, I sound pathetic.)

Anyway, where do I even start to try losing weight and getting into shape? I always look at peoples before/after pictures, hoping to feel so inspired that something in me just "clicks". But I still just can't seem to find it in myself to be truly dedicated to losing weight. I will do well for a few weeks but then I get horrible PMS cravings and I am so tired from my period, it takes about a week out of my life every month. I have tried medication for PCOS but it had terrible side effects so I can't take it.

I seem to do best on a low carb/high protein diet (until those sweets cravings kick in). I am currently stocked up on fish, eggs, frozen and fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. But I feel like I need some guidance on what to eat. I'm not a picky eater so I welcome any suggestions. I have an elliptical, a weight bench (Bow-flex type thing) and a bunch of workout videos (HipHop Abs, PINK Method, Pilates, etc). I don't have a work-out buddy and don't want to join a gym due to the distance between my house and the closest one. It's like I always plan on working out but then when it comes time to, I feel so tired and sleepy. Actually I feel tired and lethargic all the time. (I've had my thyroid checked several times but it always comes back normal. Both of my parents are on Synthroid though.)

Does anybody have a diet at 1500 calories a day or less that will tell me exactly what to eat and when? What would be the best type of work-out for me? And, most importantly, how do I stay motivated when it takes so long for me to see results? (I saw no weight loss working with the trainer for two months but my clothes were looser and my body firmer.) I get discouraged very easily.

Uhhh, if your clothes were looser and your body looked firmer, why did it matter what the scale says? Looks to me like you were doing perfectly well before you sabotaged yourself for no reason.

Fun fact: You can lose body fat and increase muscle mass at the same time, resulting is no weight loss but overall fat loss. That's actually what almost everyone here is after. Go back to that trainer, they knew what they were doing.
  • amanstewa3
    Options
    Uhhh, if your clothes were looser and your body looked firmer, why did it matter what the scale says? Looks to me like you were doing perfectly well before you sabotaged yourself for no reason.

Fun fact: You can lose body fat and increase muscle mass at the same time, resulting is no weight loss but overall fat loss. That's actually what almost everyone here is after. Go back to that trainer, they knew what they were doing.
    [/quote]

I am definitely my own worst enemy. I have known that for years. I don't know why I let the number on the scale bother me. I normally don't because I know how little those numbers actually mean. I outweigh my sister by 30 pounds and I'm two inches shorter, yet we wear the same size clothing. It's weird. I don't even own a scale.

I appreciate the encouragement.
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and what you are saying is very familiar.

I have done a number of things to help my weight loss:

>walk 10,000 steps a day (no excuses, get a pedometer) (work your way up to it if you are sedentary)
    >log everything. weigh and measure everything
    >keep a diary or a note of how you are feeling each day and try to map emotional eating (common with PMS and PCOS)
    >allow yourself a treat night (some disagree or agree, find what works for you)
    >Don't be too hard on yourself
    >try to find some exercise you enjoy outside of the 10,000 steps and incorporate it in your life. (mine is weights and pilates)
    >Research the foods that women with PCOS are sensitive to and avoid them. (this was huge for me, a lot of women with PCOS won't lose weight if the calories are coming from certain foods like processed, excessive sugar, high GI. You need to find the info and do a list of good foods for you to eat. After about 3 months of me consistently eating for my condition my periods got so much better as did my moods and motivation.
    >Get some support, wether it be online or real life, you need a buddy.
    >Find other ways to keep you motivated instead the scale and measurements. I use my fitness goals and any extra steps I can do.

My typical day is usually about 1450-1500, feel free to add me if you like. My diary is open and I have just started logging again today after a little break.
    This is really good advice to get you started. Also, since you plan to do the elliptical 5x a week, try it right after you wake up. I know it's hard to get up earlier and get out of that comfy bed but then:
    1) you can't make any excuses
    2) no life events can pop up and prevent you from working out
    3) you start your morning alert, awake, refreshed, and on track.

To be clear, I am NOT a morning person. Never have been and I would much rather stay up late and get up and run out the door to work but.... I've found that working out in the morning has really turned it around for me this time. I'm wide awake and ready to take on the day. I've even found that it makes me less groggy in the afternoon and I'm in a better mood all day because I've already met my goal before 9am!

Best luck on your journey and don't hesitate to reach out, this is a very supportive community.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This is really good advice to get you started. Also, since you plan to do the elliptical 5x a week, try it right after you wake up. I know it's hard to get up earlier and get out of that comfy bed but then:
    1) you can't make any excuses
    2) no life events can pop up and prevent you from working out
    3) you start your morning alert, awake, refreshed, and on track.

To be clear, I am NOT a morning person. Never have been and I would much rather stay up late and get up and run out the door to work but.... I've found that working out in the morning has really turned it around for me this time. I'm wide awake and ready to take on the day. I've even found that it makes me less groggy in the afternoon and I'm in a better mood all day because I've already met my goal before 9am!

Best luck on your journey and don't hesitate to reach out, this is a very supportive community.

That's exactly why I started getting up early to do my exercise. If I don't, I have an entire day to think up excuses why I am too tired, too busy, etc. If you get in your exercise early in the day, no one (including yourself) can take it away from you.
  • amanstewa3
    Options
    I totally agree with getting up and getting on the elliptical first thing. You guys are right. If I don't do it right off the bat, I will think of excuses as the day goes on.