Walking isn't cardio vascular?

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Cardio workout is when you raise your heart rate between 50% and 85% of your maximum heart rate.

simple 220- age= maximum heart rate
    MHR x 70% = good cardio workout

Example"

220-50=170
    170 x 70% =119

Well for me I have to be between 130-150 to get a good workout. I am at 119 when I stand up washing dishes :laugh:

But this gives you an idea.

When you are at your peak of walking stop for a second and count your HR ( I have an HRM.......but you can check your pulse) do it for 10 seconds and multiply by 6, or for the whole minute but then your HR drops, not good!

"To give your heart a proper workout you need to make sure that you do your cardiovacular exercise with a certain amount of intensity, but you don't want to overdo it. One way measure the amount of exertion while exercising is by monitoring your heart rate.

You can measure your heart rate manually or with a heart rate monitor. I prefer using a heart rate monitor, but more about that later. Heart rate is the number of times your heart beats per minute. Everyone has a resting heart rate, which is just what it sounds like - the rate your heart beats per minute while you are resting. Everyone also has a maximum heart rate, which the maximum amount of times your heart can beat in a minute. Your 'target heart rate zone' is a range of heart rate that is considered to be the best rate to be in to give your heart a good workout. This range is between 50% and 85% of your maximum heart rate.

Your maximum heart rate can be determined by a doctor, or you can use a formula to calculate a rough estimate."
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Walking is cardio vascular for sure!! walking works your whole body. If you are sweating you are most likely getting a very good workout.

Eventually you may want to mix it up or do some weights. But some people only walk and lose tons of weight. they reach their goals.

Don't believe that say, no pain no gain! Not true.....:-) You do not have to have any pain to get a good cardio workout!

So keep up the good work and congrats on 29 pounds lost!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My Cardiologist told me to exercise at least 40 minutes

I will always remember my cardiologist telling me the 1st 20 are for my heart, the 2nd 20 for my *kitten*!! LOL

Walking is an excellent way to burn calories and build muscle!!
  • I do Leslie Sansone. I started off with the 1 mile walk now I am up to mile 2. She is very good. Plus you can do it in the comfort of your own home.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone. I started off with the 1 mile walk now I am up to mile 2. She is very good. Plus you can do it in the comfort of your own home.

I do Leslie Sasone also about once or twice a week, when I can't get to gym. Usually if I have a late night, or rain,or snow, too cold etc. I have about 10 of her DVD's 1, 2, 3 and 4 miles. She is very good and motivational also! My favorites are her abs and fast miles series.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    People tend to be imprecise with their terminology which often leads to misunderstanding.

When performing physical activity, there can be a distinct difference between "weight loss effect" and a "training effect". From a cardiovascular standpoint, a "training effect" means an increase in VO2 max, or maximal oxygen uptake. To realize a cardiovascular "training effect" from exercise, one must sustain an effort of at least 40% (in the beginning) of VO2 max for a duration of 20 min, 3 days per week (or the equivalent in interval training).

A "weight loss effect" occurs, as we all know, when one, on average, consumes fewer calories than one expends over a long period of time.

Weight loss can occur without any exercise at all.

Weight loss can be enhanced by physical activity that is not intense enough to result in a "training effect".

One can exercise at an intense enough effort to realize a "training effect", but not lose any weight, if they don't monitor calorie intake.

So the question of whether or not walking is "cardiovascular", is not the same as "is walking an effective means to assist in a weight loss program".

The answers depend on the type of walking and the characteristics of the individual.
  • Your mindset is absolutely on track ... And with all due respect ... Your dad is wrong. Walking is one of the best cardio exercises around. It gets the heart rate going, and walking is better than jogging or running on the joints. I'm not trying to disuade you if you decide to run, but walking at a good pace is GREAT!! Get yourself a heart monitor ... That will tell you what you're getting your heart rate up to, and how many cals you burn ... If it's fancy enough it'll tell time ... And count your steps too!
  • mam734
    Options
    My doctor told me that walking is not exercise. He should try the walks I do with my 70 lb bulldog dragging me down the sidewalk. Now that's cardio
  • emfitmom
    Options
    I am a certified personal trainer. To get a cardio workout to LOSE WEIGHT (fat burning), you want your heartrate to be at 60-70% of your max. But you MUST incorporate strength building in order to be effective. You also want to incorporate HIIT (high intensity interval training) where you have spurts in which you get your heart rate at 80%+ of your max heart rate. To calculate your max heart rate it is 220 minus your age. Walking is great!! Jogging exerts a lot of weight (double your body weight) with each stride, which can lead to injuries, especially in women because of their hip to waist ratio. So, if you like walking and want to take it up a notch, add a sprint in there for 30 seconds and then back to walking for a minute, and back and forth. 20 min total. This is HIIT.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that walking is not exercise. He should try the walks I do with my 70 lb bulldog dragging me down the sidewalk. Now that's cardio

:laugh: :laugh: I have TRIED to walk my Dad's 2 year old Boxer, who weighs about 70 pounds. If that is not a workout, I don't know what you would call it!!
  • pricer15
    pricer15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that it is. I have a hard time doing anything aerobic that is more strenuous than walking because of bad knees. In the winter I usually take water aerobics 2x per week and that is easy on the joints.