curious...whos doing 1200 cal a day??

Options

Replies

• valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I try to net around 1600. I eat back most of my exercise calories. I've lost about 11 pounds in 5 weeks, so it's working! I try to see every day as practice for maintenance.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I tried for a week and it made me feel so sad, I could barely have any nice things and had little energy to do workouts. I've bumped up my cals to 1500. I still lose a pound a week and by the time I exercise my net often ends up being around the 1200 mark anyway and my exercise makes me stronger and improves my overall appearance. I'm also now making sure I get 90 grams worth of protein in a day - without shakes/supplements.
  • TLondon24
    TLondon24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do not find 1200 a day too hard (I tend to have muesli for breakfast, soup for lunch and something like a mackerel salad or baked salmon with brown rice for dinner) but don't kick myself if I go over! I understand that 1200 is not sustainable long term. I am 5'8" and have been losing since mid-December and working out three times a week since New Year. I find weekends quite difficult because I am very sociable go out a lot. It is hard to log when out! If I drink I try to drink only vodka soda with lime.

My target weight is approx 10.5stone as this would give me a healthy BMI. I am currently at 13.9. Are there any Brits out there who have been on similar journeys / does anyone have any general tips?
  • Kentuckygirl61
    Kentuckygirl61 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 1200/day for awhile now, its not difficult for me. I was not loosing weight, at first. I realized I losing and still losing inches. To me it is better b/c I know I am gaining muscle. Plus, my incentives are my old belt and my Dr. keeps me accountable. Its not so much the food intake for me, its the out the door exercise I desperately needed. I was an over the road truck driver. I never have eaten much in a days time, but now learned WHAT to eat.
  • jessad215
    jessad215 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My MFP goals are set at 1200 a day, but I exercise most days, so when I go over, I don't stress it. Some days, I come in a good bit under 1200, other days more like 1300 or 1400 (but with exercise, i still net around 1200). Knowing people lose weight happily at higher calories helps keep my stress low. I plan my meals to be satisfying and filling, full of flavor and nutrients--and if occasionally that takes me over my goals, I know it isn't the end of the world (even though I do aim for 1200).
    I eat almost entirely whole foods, I do most of my own cooking, I eat lots of vegetables and relatively few grains. I try to focus on lean protein and whole grains when I do eat them. To me, this feels right for my body, I'm losing weight and inches, and I have lots of energy for workouts and life. My goal (again, with lots of flexibility) is to eat about 200 calories of breakfast (usually eggs or egg whites and vegetables), about 400 calories for lunch (if i eat a hearty salad, i often come in at least a little under here) and 400 for dinner, which leaves about 200 calories for snacks (if lunch is under, there is more room for things like nuts or peanut butter in my snacks). I try to eat at least 7 servings of vegetables and 1-2 of fruit a day. I remind myself that it is okay to sometimes feel like I am cutting back--I am trying to lose weight, so minimizing indulgences (not cutting them out completely) is part of the deal. But that has to be tempered with enjoying the processes of cooking, eating, and moving. I also still drink alcohol, though I try to be mindful of how much and what kinds, because that is a part of my social life that I don't think would be sustainable to give up entirely (for me, at this point).
    It's far from a perfect system, but I encourage you to be a bit gentle with yourself if you aim for 1200 calories. There is room to occasionally go over in favor of nutrients and flavor, but I try to maximize the quality of the calories that push me over my daily limit--not just junk. For me at least, sustainability seems to be about minimizing the stress and unpleasantness of the process.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say what I had for snacks - Kale chips with seasoning and raw walnuts or almonds - only about 9 nuts (handful). or cucumbers slided and dipped in humus.

My Naturopath prescribed I read Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live book, watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Forks over Knives, Food Matter, The Future of Food. This is not health advice - just sharing....

If you were add up the calories she suggested I would guess it would be under 1200 calories - but never put a calorie on it....

My Nutrition Plan was:
    Rarely/Never consume sweets (cookies, candy, cake, pie, donuts, etc.) Avoid all added sugars and avoid corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup.

Minimize caffine - it causes endocrine system stress. (I'm hypothyroid)

For weight loss, insulin resistance, diabetes, yeast over growth, irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia:
    Eliminate starches (corn, potatoes, bread, noodles, cereals, grains) until condition is cured.
    Though nutritious winter squashes and yams are also to be avoided until weight loss is achieved.

My carbohydrate sources will be vegetables (cooked and uncooked) and legumes (beans and lentils).

I am also to stay away from dairy.

Drink 3/4 galon of purified water daily or more.

Eat plenty of fiber through fruit - 40 grams of more of fiber per day.

Eat 1 lb (6 cups if not 3 cups) leafy green veggies per day such as dandelion, mustard, collard, kale, chard beet greens, bock choy, watercress.

Eat a minimum of 3 cups of Sulphur rich veges per day:
    Asparagus - 4g fiber, Artichoke 6.4g, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards cooked, dandelion greens, kale, kolrabi, leeks, lettuce, argula, endive, rapini, romaine, mustard greens, onions, parsley, spinach (raw).

Eat 1 lb (3-6 cups) of colorful veggies and fruit per day: Beets, bell pepper, carrots, celery, chayote, chicory, cucumbers, eggplant, fennel, summer squash zucchini.

Whenever possible buy organic and foods that are no genetically modified.

If non-diabetic eat a variety of unlimited fruits - they make great snacks. Use pea protein to add to your vegetable smoothies.

Consume three 1/2 cup servings of cooked legumes daily (pinto, kidney, black, Colorado, garbanzo, great northern beans, lentils, lima, black-eyed peas, etc. Legumes have 6-9 grams of fiber per cup. It is important ot have three servings spread throughout the day. The frequency is the key in lowering cholesterol and triglycerides through the elimination of bile.

Beans make a healthy snack in forms of humus, bean dips. White beans mixes with coco powder, stevia and vanilla make a great dip for apples. Bean brownies are another healthy alternative.

If you are not used to a high-fiber diet, you may need to start slowly on the legumes and work up to the recommended amount. Suddently introducing high fiber can cause cgas, intestinal cramping and diarrhea.

Consume 1-2 grams of omega 3 fatty acid rich foods daily:

Healthy sources of omega fats are:
    -Walnuts
    -Soybeans
    -Flax seed
    -EPA (fish oil) supplement 2-4 capsules, 1 gram

Recommended to consume no more than 12 ounces of animal protein per week:

Preferred animal protein is fish. However fish have become polluted. Fish may place consumers at high risk for cancer, mercury toxicity and other toxins thta may cause brain damage or affect the immune system. Choose wild atlantic fish and Never purchased farmed fish which are high in PCBs (plastic estrogen mimickers).

Seafood choices that are best and lowest in mercury include: Cod, anchovies, butterfish, Atlantic Croker, Flounder (PCB), Atlantic Haddock (PCB), Hake, Herring, Atlantic Mackerel, Ocean Perch, Pollock, Wild Salmon, Sardines, Scallops (PCB), Sole, Squid, Tilapia, Trout, Whitefish and Whiting.

If you choose to intake animal protein choose organic, free range and wild varieties free of hormones and antibiotics.
    Animal protein sources include:
    Organic Eggs (often inflammatory in autoimmune, allergies, eczema, psoriasis and chronic disease conditions)
    Free range/organic lean meat - Try Bison

Recipe Ideas: http://www.ultimatedanielfast.com/2009/11/daniel-fast-juicing.html
    http://fatfreevegan.com - click on the category labeled Eat to Live

Dirty Dozen: ewg.org
    Rate Cosmetic Safety: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep
    Non-GMO shopping guide: www.responsibletechnology.org
  • momma2kas
    momma2kas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 calories a day and working out for about 30 min 4 days a week. I lose 2lbs every week. It would probably be more if some of those calories weren't crappy calories (spirits, snacks)
  • HealthyU92
    Options
    Keep on keeping on haha. Think of it as snack of the week!! :-D
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    About to toggle back down to it for an event I have coming up in a few months. I am going to miss my junk food :sad:
  • johhunt47
    johhunt47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Now that I've hit a weight I want to maintain, I try to average around 1,200 cals per day, but mainly focus on fat, carb and protein intake. My job is sedentary, but I maintain a very active workout schedule (2.5-3+ hrs. 3-4 times per week) with a daily mix of cardio and lifting.

Remember quality of calories over quantity. If I go over 1,200 eating specific types of foods/calories (chicken, peanut butter, nuts, fruits), I don't concern myself with that because of the additional benefits from those types of calories.
  • CatWhitethorne
    CatWhitethorne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do! By cutting out all but a few 'good' carbs, I am able to eat enough to stay quite satisfied so I am not hungry. I try to get in a quick walk or a little aerobic dancing when I can, but mostly I'm just being careful about how much of what I eat. I've been losing an average of 1 1/2lbs/wk, without ever feeling hungry. My secret weapons have been starting most days with 2 eggs & 1/2 slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast; Silken Tofu -don't laugh! It has almost no taste of its own, so you can sneak it into all kinds of things to up your protein without adding a lot of calories. I use it to make smoothies, cream sauces, and baked goodies. Veggies! We have a least 2 veggie sides with dinner, look for interesting new recipes (I have discovered all sorts of interesting things to do with squashes of all sorts (and I didn't think I liked squash) so I can load up at dinner). And I keep a bag of Dove dark chocolates in my desk drawer. 1 is only 45 calories and satisfies my need for chocolate and sweets -has really helped me stay on track.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the 1200 calorie/day approach, but just want to mention since so many of you say that you are doing it - that is supposed to be 1200 calories NET and if you are exercising, you should be eating those calories back so you should be eating more than 1200.

I started MFP with the recommendation of 1200 calories just like most people. I was rarely able to hit that goal, always over by a couple hundred calories and was miserable. Started doing more reading about TDEE, calculated my numbers and raised them up considerably, first to 1400 then 1500, now I am set at close to 1700 for losing 0.5lb/week and I still eat back exercise calories (although I don't get as many since I also raised my activity level). My TDEE is around 2100, so with eating back exercise calories I eat around 1900-2000 to net that 1700. Will probably transition into Maintenance in the next month or two. Won't even feel like much of an adjustment since I pretty much eat what I want now and am still losing weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Well im at 1000 Cal per day and i've been on that for the past 2 month and im doing okey , a 1000 Cal is really good or even 1200 if you pick up what you eat carefully , if anyone need any more info you can simply massage me
    NO
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    So anyone doing 1200 cal daily an exercise an losing weight? If so how much on a weekly basis... what type of foods n snacks are you eating?:)

1200 calories per day will lower your metabolism and you may actually gain weight. Most fat people do not eat nearly enough. If you eat real food, you can stuff yourself constantly and you will lose a great deal of weight during the course of a year or two. I eat about 2400 calories per day and am losing about one pound per day. The weight is literally melting off me and I cannot eat any more because I am so stuffed. My favourite snacks are peanuts, apples, oranges, carrots, broccoli, spoon sized shredded wheat, protein shakes, oatmeal, bread made without flour, chocolate soy milk, fish sticks, salmon fillets, chile con carne, beef stew, barbecued chicken, bacon and eggs.

WOW - 2,400 calories a day and losing about a pound per day!

Just wondering how much you weigh, age, height etc!

That's great - Well done! I love your food choices too - Peanut butter, oatmeal, and salmon are my favs : )
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am and I am constantly full x I have been on MFP for 3 weeks now and I have lost 7lbs ^_^ xx
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well im at 1000 Cal per day and i've been on that for the past 2 month and im doing okey , a 1000 Cal is really good or even 1200 if you pick up what you eat carefully , if anyone need any more info you can simply massage me
    NO

1000 calories a day..........OMG I would be eating my arm!

What is your BMR? Why are you eating so little - Isnt 1400 the min for most people? My BMR is 1450.. and your a man?????
  • kelsmcdowall
    Options
    I'm on 1200 cal a day, but some days I even struggle eating that!! :laugh:
  • ghunter1
    ghunter1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 1300 a day but have two cheat meals a week, I work out 5 times a week (30 mins interval cardio plus resistance - I love kettlebell training!) Plus I have a horse so I ride 4 - 5 times weekly too.

I don't eat my exercise calories back.

But I am only just 5ft, I am not hungry on 1300 calories a day but I don't think I could eat less than that espescially if I were any taller.

I eat a lot of the following -

Porridge, Greek yogurt with honey & berries, Cottage cheese, Houmous, a couple of 50g servings of wholemeal pasta a week, chicken, quorn, malt loaf with real butter, homemade soups, stir frys, homemade veg chilli.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    That's great Bill. I eat five whole cows and some magic beans every two hours and I'm losing a stone a day. I tell this to people and they just can't believe it
  • ClutteredForest
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 159lb, and eating an average of 1600 a day for a slow and steady weight loss. A little less than a lb per week, which is absolutely fine with me. ^_^
    Exercising three times a week after work. (Its super fun, because when I go to the gym there is always a class going on full of older ladies doing hardcore exercises to techno music! Very motivating! XD)