Fitbit or Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I was wondering which would work best for me. I like the motivation factor of the Fitbit, but I also need a reliable HRM for my spinning classes. I don't trust what MFP calculates, even though I don't usually eat the calories alotted by exercise. Any opinions??

Replies

• michirusan82
    michirusan82 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was looking into a fitbit for the same reason. Apparently the fit bit is a little buggy and basically a glorified Pedometer. With this info I'm thinking a hr monitor would be a better option.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    They serve different functions. You'll have to pick which function you want. If you don't eat the calories anyway, I would probably go fitbit. What's the point in accurate accounting of calories you're not eating back?
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I would do both. I've had a Polar HRM for years & love it. A couple weeks ago I bought a Fitbit Flex. I'm still figuring it out, but so far I like the feedback I get from it & that I can sync it to MFP. If I had to pick one, probably the HRM.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex. Its NOT going to work for biking, rowing, or strength training. It sounds like to me that you should get a HRM if you are looking for info on cals burned during those types of exercises. Fitbit is good to keep you accountable on moving around during the day. Much like a pedometer. It is nice to tell you how active you were on a daily basis. I got mine because I went from a job standing moving all day to a desk job- works well for that. I will be getting a heart rate monitor for my cardio/circuits and classes at the gym.

Good luck
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got a HRM a few weeks ago and I'm in love with it. It's a polar F4, but I'm sure most do all the same stuff. I like it because it keeps track of the amount of time I work out, how many minutes I was in my "zone", and it tracks calories for each workout. The treadmill at the gym and mfp seem to be pretty close give or take a calorie or two, but with everything else mfp is either 50-100 above or below actual calories burned. I have never used a fitbit, but from what I understand it keeps track of steps taken or movement made throughout the day. If that's the case, a fitbit wouldn't do for my purposes.
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    following
  • Jersey_GirlSpins
    Jersey_GirlSpins Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to get the HRM first. I just want to know how many calories I'm burning so I might be more comfortable eating the exercise calories. I don't want to go into starvation mode, which is what I've figured out I've done in the past. I want to FINALLY find a healthy way to live so I don't regain any pounds I may lose. I'd rather do it slowly and keep it off.