Need Help with a certain Diet for hubby

Options
My husband has high iron so he needs to find a way to have a meal done up for him to decrease his Iron. Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you so much in advance.

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Look into donating blood. Although it is not a diet it has many benefits -- including dealing with iron levels that are too high. Call your local blood donation bank.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You guys will need to take a look at what he is currently eating - if it's high in iron rich foods, he should cut those foods back. The iron-rich foods could be naturally-iron-rich, like liver/beef, egg yolks, certain types of beans, etc. or artificially iron-rich, like iron-fortified cereal, vitamins, etc. If he takes a multi-vitamin, he may want to switch to one that doesn't have iron, if his current one has it.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from Iron overload. Unfortunately, there is no way to correct this problem through diet other than avoiding red wine, especially If your husband has hereditary hemochromatosis. Every organic thing on this planet needs iron to live. EVERYTHING that is good for you has iron in it. Only empty calorie foods are low in iron, but many of them have it added artificially (like white bread, etc.).

There is no 'natural' way that your body can eliminate heavy metals other than storing it in the liver. There are only TWO ways to reduce iron in the body. Phlebotamies, either through donating blood or having it taken out and discarding it, OR taking a chelating medicine like Exjade (deferasirox). Since I am anemic, I cannot give blood or have phlebotomies. I have been taking Exjade since December and my blood ferratin count has gone from 1580 to 550. I have nine times the amount of iron in my liver than is normal and my ferratin blood count will have to drop to below 200 before my body will go after the iron in my liver.

Many of my male relatives have elevated iron, but since they are otherwise healthy, they just donate blood every so often, and that has kept them within normal range. In regard to what they eat, nothing they eat or don't eat has every made a difference.