Brand new to IIFYM/Macros. Have some questions..

Options
I configured my macro counts via the website and put them into MFP. I was on a 1200 cal goal, not watching anything else. After figuring my macros, I need 1750 and much more protein than I was getting (I do insanity and some weightlifting).

I'm confused at how it works. I guess I didn't do much research, but from what I understand I should be looking at Cals, Protein, Fat, and Carbs. I should meet or come within 5 grams of each. Ok. But as I see from the past few days, I meet my fats and carbs, with about 500 cals and 80 protein left.

So I shouldn't stop there, right? I should eat to meet the cals and protein? Even if it puts me over the fats and carbs? (Btw, most of my fat comes from nuts and eggs, I eat them every day). Which should I satiate the most? I am having a hard time getting enough protein (I was a vegetarian, prior to weightlifting). I plateaued and after research decided it was because I didn't have enough cals for my fitness.

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What do you eat as a protein source now (you mentioned you were vegetarian prior to doing weight training)? Do you eat chicken, for instance? Chicken breast is pretty much all protein (it's very lean), so it's something you could eat to up your protein intake without taking you over your fats and carbs. If you have trouble eating a lot of meat then you could look into a protein supplement, but these will come with extra fats and carbs so you will need to trim these from somewhere else. If you need to up the protein slowly, do it - it can be hard to do instantly, so add a good protein source in, and increase it slowly.

The idea is that you need to hit (or come within 5g of) each macro. If you're under protein by 80g then you need to rejig your diet so you're hitting your protein amounts. Protein and fats are both vital for satiety and hitting your protein is important to maintain the lean mass you currently have, so yes, hitting it is important.

Let me know if I can help more.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I kind of understand it a bit better. I have been assigned 170 grams of protein a day. I have implemented chicken and fish (tilapia and tuna) as of recently. I am still not hitting, but I think I will mess around with it until I can get the numbers that I feel are achievable. I think 170 is high....but that might be because I was eating a vegetarian diet.

I am just worried about doing the wrong macros and not getting results. I guess it's mostly trial and error, though.