What's your favorite Winter Olympic event and why?

Options
Soufre
Soufre Posts: 236 Member
Figure skating, single and pairs, is my favorite. I like it because of how deceptive it is. While strength and endurance is apparent in other sports such as hockey and skiing, I think it's a bit more subtle in in figure skating. Most of the skaters are TINY. When they skate, they seem so delicate. But the amount of power, balance, and control needed to launch yourself into the air, spin 1080 degrees, land on what's basically a fillet knife attached to your shoe, and NOT barf is beyond me. What's just as impressive is not landing properly. When I slip and fall on ice, I need to sit there for a few seconds to recover. These individuals crash back down onto the ice but still mange to recover and continue their routine fairly quickly and seamlessly.

Don't even get me started on pair skating. I mean just look...
_49616060_010471591-1.jpg
HOW.

2014-winter-olympics-russia-pairs-figure-skating-twist.gif
Come on.

That is why figure skating is my favorite event.
...and it's the prettiest (ʘ‿ʘ✿)

julia-lipnitskaia-spinning.gif
tumblr_mic91aOrzB1raas5xo1_500.gif
tumblr_mg5yveP57z1rxcv7xo2_250.gif

Just don't let those sequins fool you....

What's yours and why?

Replies

• AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I love figure skateing. The men with their strength in jumping and dance for the pure beauty.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Almost said swimming.
    But hey, I've swam in ice before.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm alone here, but I love Curling.

alg-olympics-curling-jpg.jpg
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Hockey (& curling too sometimes a little yes)

because I'm Canadian
  • Heintz55
    Options
    Bobsled. The athletes are huge! And of course being Canadian , hockey!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Biathlon hands down. Strength, endurance and the ability to control such basic body functions as breathing even when you are desperate for O2. Those guys and gals are amazing!!
  • buckeyes1985
    Options
    Hockey

Die hard redwings fan. Love the sport.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    figure skating - absolutely beautiful.

=^x^=
  • HDHogger
    HDHogger Posts: 764
    Options
    Hockey because of the competitiveness.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm watching curling right now, and it's actually awesome to watch. But hockey obviously.

I'm jealous.
  • Justintyme328
    Justintyme328 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Men's hockey, only because I played with/against a few of the guys competing. Other than that ski jumping, I can't turn away
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Figure skating hands down! They are SO beautiful, I just love it and am so envious of their grace and strength.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    OK, someone is going to have to explain the scoring for curling. It looked like Canada had nine points and could have put the game away with four stones in the rings but when I looked back it was still 9 to 5 and now they had switched to the seventh set and Germany had the last weight. Did I miss something?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The snowboarding has to be a given, doesn't it? who wouldn't like watching the slopestyle, half-pipe and cross?

And I love the hockey... but for me, though, you can't beat luge and skeleton. 90mph, in half an ice tube, on a sled that weighs practically nothing, with no protection on your body but a helmet. And in skeleton they do it head first.

It's madness (there have been some fatal accidents). Exciting madness. And it takes a deceptive amount of strength to push off and steer those things.

Some of the skeleton riders have broken ribs on a perfect run, because of the bumps on the track at such high speeds.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Biathlon.

Target shooting combined with cross country skiing; combines athleticism with mental and spacial control. Sounds simple, but when you realize what it takes to ski a course and hit a target? Blows my mind.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hockey! Obsessed with the sport. Columbus Season Ticket Holder. Rooting hard for Russia given their roster includes Tyutin, Bobrovsky, Nikitin & Anismov. Also rooting for the USA womens team,
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Alpine skiing because being able to control your skis while flying down a mountain at those speeds is incredible. The cross-county skiiers are amazing athletes, especially those who do biathlon. Luge and skeleton are just bada$$ - especially skeleton.

I'm not a fan of anything that needs judges - I prefer a clock or goal/score to determine who wins.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Biathlon.

Target shooting combined with cross country skiing; combines athleticism with mental and spacial control. Sounds simple, but when you realize what it takes to ski a course and hit a target? Blows my mind.

In most of the Winter events, the athletes look pretty good in the middle of their run - like they're doing what they were born and trained to do. About halfway through the Biathlon competition (and a lot of the other cross-country competitions, for that matter), they look like they might be about to die.