measuring neck, waist, and hips???

Options
Hi! I'm Bridget and new to this. 20years old and trying to lose 35 pounds.

Only been on here for a few days but noticed there are more weighs to measure your loss aside from using a scale.

Any tips on measuring neck, waist, and hips?
ways to be sure you're measuring the same area each time?
Difference between hips and waist?
muffin top?
suggestions on how often to measure? (weight included)

looking for someone's expertise! probably female.

Replies

• KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Umm....my doctor told me to just measure around the middle area of the neck. Then measure at the natural waistline loosely. Sorry but I'm having trouble finding mine. As for the hip area he said the widest part. I measured down from the waist to find the exact place next time. I am going to measure once every couple of weeks. I have no idea what to do about measuring around the muffin top. Eventually that will go away! That makes sense, I think. Good Luck!:smooched:
  • cyncmt
    cyncmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    the waist belly button level. and katherin is right about the rest. theses measurements are used to calculate body fat levels and to show change when the scale is depressing.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing when taking measurements is that you measure in the same place every time. The parts you choose to measure are not as important as measuring consistently. All you're really looking for is a change.
    Personally, I track my biceps, neck, widest part of my chest, smallest part of my waist, widest part of my hips, thighs, and calves. You may have to tweak where on your waist/hips is best to measure based on your individual body shape or use specific markers or reminders (belly button, a mole or freckle, where the waistline of your underwear naturally sits, etc) to measure the same place every time.

Tracking your measurements is helpful because there may be times when your measurements go down even though your scale weight stays the same. :smile:
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah hips I'd say widest part - maybe find a pair of shorts to wear every time and take note of where you measured on them last? Waist either belly button or measure the smallest part by tipping your upper body to the side left and right - where you crease between your hips and ribcage should be the smallest part.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of good tips.
  • cyncmt
    cyncmt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    how often is up to you. weight i would recommend once a week for most accurate change, but can be done daily. and i only do measurements once a month. i new here, but i've lost 100# but recently 25# has "re-appeared" so im familiar with a few things. one word of encouragement keep a stick of butter in freezer, when scale only says .2 lost pull out that stick of butter that is how much fat is missing from your body:flowerforyou:
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I measure neck, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves, and arms. I do this once a month, for some reason the day I started was on the 2nd, so I measure on the 2nd of each month, or as close to it as I remember. Try to find a landmark if you can, like on my right arm where I measure, I have a little freckle or mole and that helps. Waist is belly button, even though that's not where waistlines in most jeans are worn these days! I try to measure the biggest part, so my thighs I measure up high where I have a bit of a bulge:( I also try to wear the same bra when I measure if I can remember. My sports bras holds me in a little more than a regular bra so I try to wear the same bra or at least a sports bra. I started in December and I've only lost 6 lbs, but my measurements wowed me! I would recommend doing both, it helps keep me motivated. I weigh once or twice a week. Ive hear once a week or once a month is ideal, but I know I fluctuate a lot, so I do early in the week and again later in the week and use whichever weight is less or avg them! Good luck!