Run/train for 1/2 marathon if running is not top priority??

Options
Hi all! I have a question for the runners. Is it reasonable to think that I can train for a half marathon and actually do it, if running is not my top exercise priority? I love running but there are other things I love to do too, namely surfing. I'm wondering if you think it's feasible to manage if running isn't the only training priority? I chose a half that is not huge and is all on gentle trails. I have run the trails before-it's about a 10k loop so we'll be doing it twice roughly. I have run 10-11km in my adult life but no more than that as an adult. Currently I'm doing 7.5 (8 on a good day) with run/walk intervals of 8/3 and will continue to build from there. I'm going to do a 5k in March and then find a 10k that fits with my schedule at some point. The half is at the end of October so I have lots of time. I'll sometimes run and surf on the same day, but my reality is that if I'm only going to do one, it'll be surfing, unless it's a work day then if I have energy after my shift I'll do a short run. What are your thoughts? Thanks :)

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely do it. You have lots of time and a good enough base to start from. Pick a training plan that suits your lifestyle and go for it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with that plan. I'd still try to run 3x a week but I'm running a half in a couple months and it's really not a priority in my life right now.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have a question for the runners. Is it reasonable to think that I can train for a half marathon and actually do it, if running is not my top exercise priority? I love running but there are other things I love to do too, namely surfing. I'm wondering if you think it's feasible to manage if running isn't the only training priority? I chose a half that is not huge and is all on gentle trails. I have run the trails before-it's about a 10k loop so we'll be doing it twice roughly. I have run 10-11km in my adult life but no more than that as an adult. Currently I'm doing 7.5 (8 on a good day) with run/walk intervals of 8/3 and will continue to build from there. I'm going to do a 5k in March and then find a 10k that fits with my schedule at some point. The half is at the end of October so I have lots of time. I'll sometimes run and surf on the same day, but my reality is that if I'm only going to do one, it'll be surfing, unless it's a work day then if I have energy after my shift I'll do a short run. What are your thoughts? Thanks :)

I think it is worth making it a priority to minimise disappointment, at least for the few weeks beforehand.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I would try to build up to a long run or two before the HM though just so you know how your body will react and what it will need (fueling, rest, pace, etc)
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's doable. I would try to build up to a long run or two before the HM though just so you know how your body will react and what it will need (fueling, rest, pace, etc)

I agree. If you can work your way up to a long run each week of 10-12miles, you can do whatever else you want during the week for exercise, as long as you are consistently doing something.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have done plenty of half marathons, many of which I trained for by only running 3 times a week, but still getting exercise of some sort in at least 5 days a week. Get a long run in every week and a couple more runs and you should be fine.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks all! This is sort of what I was thinking. I'm active every day, although a couple of days a week it's just walking my dog and maybe biking to work. I surf most of my days off and usually run twice a week, sometimes three. So consistently running 3 times a week is reasonable for me. I chose to train for the half to give me a goal to work toward and I think I'll have a great sense of accomplishment once I do it! I am not really concerned about my times.
    Thank you for your input! :)
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I found that having a base level of regular fitness allowed for the 1/2 marathon training to be much easier than expected. So you'll be fine! Just pick a training schedule of any sort and stick to it, so you know you are progressing toward you goal and not just winging it. I found it was helpful to plan my training schedule and put each run/workout into my google calendar so that I knew every workout for the following few weeks/months, in order to meet a goal.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely do it. You have lots of time and a good enough base to start from. Pick a training plan that suits your lifestyle and go for it.

Ditto to this.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! It's great to hear from runners that it's possible. My friends all think it sounds reasonable but they mostly don't run. Good idea to put it into my google calendar, that way I'll be more inclined to not "wing it" as you said, as I do like to fly by the seat of my pants haha! :)