New to website

Options
Got the My Fitness app on my cell phone. Just started, and hoping to get in shape and lose weight. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions specific to my situation, but I'm a consultant, so I spend 5 days a week on the road. Company gives me $40 per day for food, and my challenge is trying to find affordable yet healthy meals when travelling. Anyone know of any resources on this website, or on other sites or books, that specialize on people who have to eat out 100% of the time? Enjoy!

-Tom

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome Tom, I can't really help you, but I did want to welcome you :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options
    welcome
    what I would do is go to websites of places that you frequently eat at and look up the calorie counts on several of there dishes and try to find the best choices at each place. I know several restraunts that have a low cal menu such as mimis cafe, chilis also I love terriyaki is a good choice, and subway. I hope this helps
  • klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just found an app for my iphone this weekend that has nutrition information for restaurants. My husband also travels and was pleased when I told him about it. I search for restaraunt nutrition and it was the first free one.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to make sure that when you eat out you ask for no/low salt options; and no sauces! Also watch the extras added to salads like croutons, totilla strips & cheese. Dressing always on the side (I have been forcing myself to not use any dressing & am finally getting used to it) My neighbor travels alot & she says these tips are key. You can actually bring your own seasoning to add to veggies, egg whites etc like Mrs. Dash & other no salt options. I would also try to carry a little travel cooler with you that you can have heathly snacks in like yogurt; fruit; veggies, low sugar protein bars etc.

Make sure you take time to exercise, even if it is walking around the airport for an hour while you are waiting for your plane. When ever me & my hubby travel if we have extra time to kill at an airport, we will find a corner and do some sit ups, push ups and jumping jacks.

Good luck and you should be able to eat healthy on $40 a day.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I've logged my food for my first day, I can better see how to use the website to plan meals. I saw that I had 650 calories left for dinner, and I decided I wanted to eat at Chili's for dinner. Using their nutritional information menu on the Chili's site in conjunction with this site showed me what choices and price I had there. Went with the Carribean salad and only went 10 calories over for the day. So it's working so far.

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll be a pro at this sooner or later.