FRUIT & VEGGIE CHALLENGE!!

Options
124»

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I think it's half a cup - what does the back of the bag say?

As for my progress, I have been experiencing a lack of interest in food the last few days. It's been really tough getting in enough food, let alone fruit & veg. Thinking about it, I should probably just juice it and be done with it, but I hate how high in sugar the juices are and fibre is a fairly major concern for me....:blushing:

I am getting 4-6 a day. Prefer to be getting 6-8.

The serving size is 1.5 cups on the back of the bag, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that equals one serving of veg's, does it? Like on my kids Fruit Source minis... the recommended serving size is 14 of them, and it states that that equals 2 servings.

You're right. I am pretty sure though that for most fruit and veg a serving size is between 1/2 and 1 cup. I was just curious what it said on the back of the bag - sometimes they correlate and sometimes, the bag is a multiple of the actual serving (sometimes not though. Some juices are 800mL and a serving is 1/2 cup....what are you supposed to do with that last 50mL?!?!?!). Did you get an answer?

Pam,

Different sites listed different amounts ranging from .5 to 1 cup. The Canadian Food Guide site from the link I posted earlier lists 1/2 cup of cabbage as a serving, so I decided that I would just go with the half cup. :)

Good - as much as I love that salad and coleslaw in general. 1.5 cups of the stuff might just do me in :P
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I made a great meal last night and it was loaded with veggies - thought I would share and bump the thread at the same time.

It started as my regular old potato & onion bake (1 potato/person, 1/4 of onion per person roasted in the oven). It ended up with potato, onion, parsnips, asparagus, zucchini and chicken. Baked in one pan in the oven dressed with seasoning salt, crushed chilies, parsley, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Half the cooking time was covered and the second half was not

OMG - it was soooooooooooooo good. I'm even thinking about doing it again soon but changing out the potatoes and putting hard veggies on the bottom (carrots, parsnips, beets, onions, celery, squash), then the chicken, then some cubed soft veggies over top (zucchini, tomato, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers).

It took about 1.5 hours to bake at 450 and it could have gone longer (they were JUST cooked, not carmelized yet). Such an easy prep. I'm thinking it'll be super easy on those days when I work from home and my inlaws are visiting for dinner. Took my husband and I about 20 minutes of prep time.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! This is where I'm lacking...
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Making a yummy sausage and penne for dinner tonight. Thought I would share the recipe, it makes enough for 8 people, or 2 really hungry people and leftovers. :laugh: If you cut out the pasta and upped the veggies (double them), it would still be loads of food, enough for 4 very very hungry people

1 Fennel bulb, sliced
    1 Red Pepper, sliced
    1 Green Pepper, sliced
    1 Onion, sliced
    1 pkg of mild italian sausage (or hot, if that floats your boat)
    1 tin of diced tomatoes
    1 pkg Catelli Smart Penne
    1 Tb Olive Oil
    2 cloves of garlic, minced

I cut up the sausage and grill it (getting rid of most of the fat) until cooked. Set aside. Add Olive oil to frying pan and carmelize onions and fennel. Once onions are soft and light brown, add garlic & peppers. Continue cooking 5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and sausage and cook for 10 minutes. Make pasta, drain and mix with sauce.

One of my favourite uses for fennel, but I eat some of it while I'm cooking for a crunchy change to celery.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Just thought I'd keep the thread going with another yummy veggie side dish recipe. This time is green beans and it's not strictly vegetarian but I love it on my thanksgiving table.

1lb fresh green beans, trimmed
    2 slices bacon, chopped into small pieces
    1/2 cup minced red onions or shallots
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp each honey mustard and freshly squeezed lemon juice
    salt and pepper to tast

Steam beans about 6 minutes or until tender crisp. While beans are steaming, cook bacon, onions and garlic over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Remove skillet from heat. Add honey mustard and lemon juice. Mix well. Add beans and stir to coat beans with onion-bacon mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 servings.

Calories 62
    Total Fat 2.4
    Sat. Fat 1
    Protein 2
    Carbohydrates 8
    Fibre 1.9
    Cholesterol 3
    Sodium 106
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options