Beginner Runner - Need Shoes

Options
Hi All-

I am the utmost beginning runner....I just started the C25K program and when my boyfriend learned I was using standard tennis shoes that I have owned for about 10 years...he flipped!!!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

I have been reading some of the Runner Posts and I hear about runner shoe stores that have you run on a treadmill to see what your feet, legs, etc do to determine the best shoe for you. I honestly have no idea where any of these places are or what they are called. The only place I have bought exercise stuff including sports shoes is Sports Chalet but figure that isn't it. :blushing: :blushing:

What are the names of these stores?

Also, advice on shoes to avoid? I know nothing about shoes for running other than they go on your feet so I won't know a good one from a bad one.... :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Obviously I am a beginning runner in desparate need of advice.

Thanks in advance to all.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Going to any sporting good store such as Academy or any place that sells shoes and sporting goods, or even stores like my wife went to a New balance store and they fit and find the best shoe for you.

It makes a ton of difference, I would run at 4.1mph on the treadmill in my old shoes and be jarred and tired.. when I got my new ones I immediately was able to go up 1 full mph and have less fatigue
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Hi there! I am a beginner runner too! Started C25K about 5 weeks ago. The best thing you can do is go to a running store to have shoes fitted for you. I went to The Running Room. I'm currently running in Saucony shoes. I can't remember what Saucony shoe I have but I can honestly say that I love them! lol Get yourself a new pair of shoes. So worth it! It will make running a breeze instead of a pain!

Congrats on starting C25K!!

:flowerforyou:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Do not go to ANY sporting goods store. Go to a specialty running store. It will make a huge difference.

Most running stores are locally owned with maybe a few stores, but aren't chains like Modell's, D*ck's or Sports Authority.

Go here to find a store near you: http://runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0,00.html
  • tater8589
    Options
    Many of them have different names, you may try to google some in your area. If not, check out stores like Finish Line, the employees there are pretty well trained about the shoes they sell. Academy is a good place if you are in the south, D*cks Sporting has many options as well and they are displayed by type (ie. running, soccer, cross train...) but they aren't as helpful in finding what you need.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    I live in Canada so our stores may be different.. I would google 'running stores' in your area. We have Runners Den, Running Room, etc... but they are not all created equal and you need to connect with the right person who understands fit, gait, etc... my gf bought a $150 pair of runners that was recommended and because the fit was not good, she was injured!:noway:

Your boyfriend is right, tennis shoes are too rigid for running and you could create a bad injury!

Word of mouth is best, blogs, message boards will give you a wealth of info in your area. If someone has a bad experience they will post it as well as a great experience. You could go to a shop that fits athletes or even one that specializes in orthotics as they will have a selection and tell you what to look for, or possibly even sell what you need. Do the research, it is important and one brand that may be horid for me is magic for you....so, check it out yourself, don't rush, and find someone who knows how to read your biomechanics when you strut up and down in them to see if they fit you!:love: you will love your shoes and they will do you well! I bet there are running groups in your area with posts and blogs that will steer you well. Go online and check it out.

Good luck!! And way to go to commit to this!!
  • maureensc
    Options
    Great! I am currently on week 8 of the C25K plan. It is a great plan! I highly recommend going to the special running shops. Perhaps you can google it for your area. Best wishes!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    please please go to a running store and spend the time being fitted for a good pair of running shoes...they should measure your stride and your step and your arch...it was the best $100 i have ever spent on my feet.....i was getting blister sooo bad i had to take days off from exercising/running because my feet hurt sooo bad.....i have not had a blister since getting the good shoes and the inserts i needed for my arch.....

go go go....run your *kitten* to the running store....we have fit to run here but there are many "chains"....
  • anthemfamily
    anthemfamily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definately go to the runner's world link and find a good running specialty store in your area. Everyone runs differently and you need to make sure you have the correct support. Once you know what kind of shoe is best for you, then you can buy at sports chalet, etc. Another great source AFTER you have bought your first pair and been matched with the best pair is zappos.com.Runners World (the actual magazine) also has many discount running shoe sites in the back with the advertising.
    Good luck, running is such fun and so rewarding!

Traci
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    With anyone doing any amount of running, you have to buy properly fitting running shoes. It's best to get them at an actual running store. They can tell you if you over or under pronate, or if you have a neutral foot placement. They can also see how high your arch is and if you will need stability in your arch or extra cushioning in your heel due to a heel spur. Also, bring in an old pair of sneakers or flat shoes so the store personnel can look at the sole and see where the most wear and tear is - this is indicative of your pronation pattern. The nice thing about proper running shoes is that they will stabilize or neurtalize or cushion your foot depending on the pronation pattern. Having a shoe that minimizes your pronation pattern will pervent things like shin splints, stress fractures and heel and knee pain. Ask if you can take the shoes for a test run before you buy. Most running stores, in my experience, are agreeable to this. Also, keep in mind where you will be running. There are trail runners and normal runners. If you are planning to stick to 5 km to 8 km routes, then a heavier shoe should be okay. But once you get into the longer than 10 km distances, you may want to consider the weight of the shoe.

It is also important to remember that you have to replace your shoes. The general consensus is running shoes should be replaced every six months or between 300 and 500 miles. However, this is generally considered to be just a rule of thumb and some runners may find themselves replacing their running shoes every four months while others may find they only need to replace their running shoes every eight months.

The need to replace running shoes is generally not a function of time but rather a function of how many miles the runner has run in the shoes. However, the consensus indicating the replacement of running shoes is necessary every six months is actually loosely based on mileage. A runner who runs approximately four days per week and runs approximately 3-5 miles per day falls into the category of a runner who will be running approximately 300-500 miles every six months.

However, it is important to note runners, who do considerably more mileage each week will likely need to replace their running shoes much more often than every six months. For example marathon runners who may be running in excess of 50 miles per week would likely require a new pair of running shoes much more often. When I was running half marathons, I replaced my shoes every 4 months, almost to the day.

A long post. Hopefully informative. I have done a lot of running, and I have worn a lot of different shoes. What works for me will not likely work for you. Expect to pay between 90 to 140 dollars (in Canada, anyway) for a good pair of shoes. Wear them around the house to break them in. AND, mostly importantly, buy runner socks. These wick moisture away and will minimize blisters as your feet get used to the new shoes and the amount of force you are putting on your body when you run.

Happy Running!
    Irene
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Speaking of good running socks...Body Glide (you can find it at most sporting goods stores) is a gift from God. Will help you tremendously with any blisters, chafing...anything! $8-$10 and will last you a long time!

Happy Running!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I went to Runner's High and ended up with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS. Did my first walk/job in them and they feel great.

Thanks all!!!!