Feeling low

Options
HI
Has anyone tried the 'shake that weight' diet im really struggling, I lost 3 stone in 2 months and was going to gym 4 times a day, i had a knock back with skinny girls going to the gym and looking at me and laughing and that has made me quit and binge eat.
I have started back on my anti depressants, but i really need and want to lose weight please help

Replies

• Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You shouldn`t let one ignorant person get you down, clearer the slate and start again, get back on to the clean healthy eating and start the exercise again, if you feel you can`t go to the gym, get a dvd that you can do at home until you have the confidence to go back, also you can go for long walks as well, instead, remember its all about cal in vs cal out
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Losing 3 stone in 2 months is great! Get back in there and keep doing what you were doing.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hey you've done really well, just allow yourself a setback and get back on the horse!

Few of us feel good or perfect in the presence of others but they only have a power to make us feel bad if we hand that power to them - just stay busy being you, they don't matter. :flowerforyou:

Here's a funny for you:

Why did the Baker have brown hands?

Because he kneaded a poo!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

ETA - if your diet is too hard try changing it rather than giving in. I only had 28lbs to lose but refused to starve so only cut back to 1400 cals and lost if just fine over about 7mths. You CAN do it.
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym 4 times a DAY!?
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaqui, I know just what you mean about feeling embarrassed at the gym when someone is derisive. When a gym trainer gave me a dirty look I just gave it right back, I was angry. I need to be at the gym more than any of those thin people, and they are hypocrites for discouraging someone. Shame on them. I have a right to be there and to be proud of being there, and so do you! Also, I agree with the earlier poster who replied to you that a dvd at home will be a good alternative to the gym. That worked for me years ago when I just happened to find a great dvd in a sale bin, it really turned my life around to use that one every day at home. It was fun too. Any activity and positive attitude you can do for yourself that is enjoyable to you will be moving in the right direction.
  • newsharonkay
    newsharonkay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Omgosh I know exactly how you feel. Friend me and lets help each other stay positive and get motivated to kick some booty. Its not the others that make us feel that way its because we don't feel good about ourselves. So the answer is to work towards our own goals and with each step we feel better and look better and then the inner beauty we already have SHINES through like the sun on a cold winter day.... Hang in there and know you are not alone...
  • gennypelletier
    gennypelletier Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ~ Here's to a new day, a clean slate! Other than having this "safe" community of like minded thinkers, what has worked for me is to become my own best cheerleader! I had to become selfish and determine this new lifestyle was my own responsibility - and no one, not even those who love me best could be anything but support. This way, when I have a challenge or negative remarks in my face, I can respond with "It's all about ME". I only acknowledge good and healthy feedback, everything else is dismissed as noise. Keep the faith and believe in what you can do.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated and take pride in what you have accomplished so far. Some people can be so ignorant and insensitive to others. You posses something those mean girls could never have, inner beauty as well as outwardly beautiful and compassion.
  • salendire
    Options
    I find that for me fad diets do not work. Ever. I mean, yeah, I lose weight for the month or two I have enough determination and will power to stick to the plan, but then I get complacent, remember how much I love food and go right back to the way I was before.

The best thing I have ever done is not really change what I eat at all, but how much of it how often. I don't deny myself anything. If I want chocolate, I will damn well have it, as long as it fits in with the rest of my foods. If it doesn't, well, I'll jump on wiifit for half an hour and earn it.

Also, if you're discouraged so easily from gym and your eating program maybe you don't really want it that badly. Which is absolutely fine, but I think it's worth realising that this magical "motivation" folk keep gaining and losing is always there, it's just a matter of how lazy or dedicated you're feeling that day. Motivation is something people use as an excuse.

The most important thing, I think, is learning how to support yourself. Relying on other folks is just asking for trouble because, realistically, no one cares about you like you do. There's nothing wrong with gleaning warmth from support, but there is something wrong with it being a main motivating factor. There is also nothing wrong with f***ing up, everyone does it and in the end it will probably make you a better person. Success without failure is not really success at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I shake my weight every time I run.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard not to let the stupid people in the world get to you. Basically, I've trained myself to ignore other people at the gym. I'm not there to "win friends and influence people" - I'm there to improve myself. Remember, I may be fat, but I can get skinny - they will always be insensitive clods.

Realize too that you're human, and allow yourself to stumble and not be bummed about it when it happens. I stumbled frequently this last week, and still lost 3.5 pounds. I know it won't be that much next week, but it's a start in the right direction.

The two things that have helped me most are:
    1: Focus on protein, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves
    2: Increase fiber. I like Chocolite Protein bars to help with actually the fiber and the protein. They're about 100 calories, sugar free/gluten free, they have about 10g protein and 10g fiber. My fav's are triple chocolate fudge and cookies n cream.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Just log and count calories and don't do any crazy diet. If you want a nice eating plan, check out the No S Diet at nosdiet.com. It's very helpful.

For exercise, I've had dramatic results from working out right in my own home. I do 2 minute workouts throughout my day, and take a nice walk whenever I can. Try granny pushups, bodyweight squats, and google home exercises. I love HASfit.com - Coach Kozak will motivate you and when you're done, you'll feel like you were hugged! lol

And whatever you do, don't give up! Don't starve yourself with a shake diet, either. Maybe cut your carbs to around 100 - 150 if you want to feel better. Low carbing is great for the brain, helps against depression. And try to get some sun on you somehow, as it alleviates depression, too. You're so beautiful, just the way you are, and now you're determined to get healthy and fit. Don't let mean people hold you back. Maybe read the book, "The Feeling Good Book" by Dr Burns, a cognitive therapy approach. I'm reading it for the second time.

hugs!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaqui, I know just what you mean about feeling embarrassed at the gym when someone is derisive. When a gym trainer gave me a dirty look I just gave it right back, I was angry. I need to be at the gym more than any of those thin people, and they are hypocrites for discouraging someone. Shame on them. I have a right to be there and to be proud of being there, and so do you! Also, I agree with the earlier poster who replied to you that a dvd at home will be a good alternative to the gym. That worked for me years ago when I just happened to find a great dvd in a sale bin, it really turned my life around to use that one every day at home. It was fun too. Any activity and positive attitude you can do for yourself that is enjoyable to you will be moving in the right direction.

I think it's horrible that anyone was mean to OP at the gym, but please don't say that you need to be there more than any of those "thin people". You don't know any one's individual story, or why they are there. We all need to be there.
    Any gym trainer that gives you a dirty look for being at the gym is in the wrong profession.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about skinny girls in the gym!

I don't give a crap what I look like in the gym, No make up, hair scrapped back, sweat everywhere.

I pay my monthly fee - I go there to sweat my bum off, and go home - I don't even notice who is there sometimes... Too busy listening to my music and doing my thing : )

Do it for you, no one else! Don't let OTHERS bring you DOWN!!

Now get back there, and prove them skinny girls you can workout better than them hahahaha : )
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    People are actually laughing at you? That is horrible. These people need to realize that not everyone is born to be blessed with great genetics. I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication too but they should realize you are at least trying. Don't let them get you down. Do you happen to have a Curves gym in your area? They are for women only and most of them are not the skinny young ones! You may feel more comfortable. If you don't have one then just keep going to the gym you are going to and don't pay one bit of attention to them! Walk in like you own the place!!! I would much rather be overweight than have a cold heart like them. I want you to read this link I am going to post. One of my friends who is also a trainer at the gym I go to posted if on Facebook last week and I love it!
    http://ericamillard.com/?p=1566
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Oh no!!!! Those skinny girls may have started off larger than you, ignore them sweetie and do it for you!!!! Come on exercise keeps your mood up and makes you feel amazing your worth that so please ignore them put ear phones in and blank them concentrate on you xxx
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So glad you are back on your meds. That will help. Like the others have said, the only thing you can control is your reaction to the crap that happens to you in life. I used to feel the same way. I LOVE to dance. But I would go to the clubs, be having a great time, and then I would feel like someone was laughing at me, that guys were dancing with me because it was funny. After I started working out and losing a few pounds, even while I knew I was still chunky, I just felt so good about taking control of my life that I cared less and less what others thought. I was finally proud of who I am. I could look at those other people in the clubs and know that I EARNED that night out with friends who loved me no matter what. I wouldn't let them take the fun away from me. Same at the gym. I never used to be able to walk into a fitness class unless I was shored up by the presence of good friends. Now I go and just give it my all. Don't care that I'm one of the biggest women in the class. Doesn't matter that the crazy fit women were out-exercising me. I just knew that months before I couldn't physically be doing what I was doing right then! That I had improved, all by myself. That was stronger, thinner, faster, etc. All me! I'm the only one who truly knows the struggles I have had in my life and what I have overcome. Same with you! Those other women may be laughing at you, or they could be laughing and just happen to be looking in your direction. Either way...forget them! YOU are stronger, YOU are thinner, YOU are taking control of something that has been controlling YOU for so long! And THAT is something to be proud of and keep fighting for. If you stop going because of them, then they WIN! You have let them take that away from you. You don't want to give them that power. You can do this!
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I workout every lunchtime and when I go to the gym I'm bright red and practically sweating before getting out of the changing room.

In the gym I was embarrassed because my clothes were wet through and every afternoon I get comments about being so red for so long afterwards.

I kept going because I was not letting these people get me down.

I have now bought dry fit tops so the dampness is not as noticable which is great and although I still get one or two comments.. "I take it you been to the gym" most of the comments are about how dedicated I am, how they really aught to get into the gym or how they would never manage a 30 minute run or cross trainer session.

NEVER let other people take control of your life, part of your going in the first place is claiming self control back. The fact that you made the decision to go is step one, step two is getting in there and the rest of the steps you make up for yourself.
  • Jacquit1980
    Jacquit1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Awww thank you guys it really helps, Im determined to get back on it and back to the gym ( I did mean 4 times a week sorry) Thanks for all the encouragement. Im just having a blip I hope, I have sooo much weight to lose not just to look good but to be healthy, its just weird how I could give up smoking as soon as I made my mind up to, and stay off smoking for 7 years, But food is my killer and I think its going to kill me, I have done my diary before this blip and I was always under calories and was finding it hard to hit my calorie goal, so I know I was not over eating just eating the wrong things at the wrong time, I was really enjoying the gym (well thats actually a lie) I enjoyed the results after a few weeks at the gym I just got to get in my head a tell the devil to get lost :)