Would anyone suggest calorie cycling?

Options
I used an online calculator to find out my TDEE. It is 3000 according to the results, so to lose weight I suppose I should be taking 2000-2200 per day.

I'm currently trying to leave a plateau, since I screwed up on the first month, took 1000cals per day, lost 14Lbs and got stuck.

Next to my TDEE results was a chart that showed how many calories I had to take per day for caloric cycling. I figure that's a low calorie diet, but while preventing the body from going into starvation mode.

I'm 18, male. I weigh 174Lbs and my ideal weight would be 154Lbs.

The fact that today's a Monday is a plus, since I assume I'd be controlling my intake weekly rather than daily, so I could start right now.

But is it healthy? Has it worked for people before? Especially those who hit a plateau. Thanks!

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What benefit do you think cycling will have? It's all going to even out for the weekly average anyway.

Why are you running a 1k caloric deficit? Goodbye sweet gainz.

How long have you been "plateaued"?
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What benefit do you think cycling will have? It's all going to even out for the weekly average anyway.

Why are you running a 1k caloric deficit? Goodbye sweet gainz.

How long have you been "plateaued"?

I'm at 1000cal deficit because I'm really nearing my goal and it's getting harder every time obviously.

I'm at a stage where my metabolism is adjusting easily to my every move and I kinda hoped cycling would fix that, help me confuse my metabolism a bit. I'm almost there anyways.

I've been stuck on 174Lbs for 2-3 weeks now, and I certainly hadn't planned this plateau :(
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    In for the info.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    How long have you been in a deficit for?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Also, open your diary for public viewing
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also, open your diary for public viewing

Oh, done.

I spent all of January on a deficit of what turned out to be 2000 calories (TWO THOUSAND). I know, unhealthy, dangerous, insane. I tried to do it on my own, was clearly misinformed and although I lost 14Lbs, it stopped right there.

About two weeks after realizing I my weight loss stalled, I upped my intake to 2000 (TDEE = 3000). 1000 calorie deficit.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    What I noticed:

According to your diary, it's not consistent. With that said, it's difficult to label it a plateau when your calories and macros are not consistent. Do you weight all your food? I see a bunch of quick added cals which leads me to believe you are ball parking more often then not. If so, that's your main issue.