How many calories am I burning still? (bf'ing moms)

Options
Hey guys! I took a little hiatus from MFP to see how well I would do without tracking and I think it was a little too soon! :blushing: I put on about 3-4 lbs in about a month and a half or so. I know it's not a lot of weight, and I was out of service for a few weeks after having an emergency appendectomy last month. So, I really couldn't do much with staying active. Anyway, back on the bandwagon....diet, exercise, blah blah blah.

My question is this...

My son will be 10 months old and is still nursing like a champ. He nurses maybe once during the night, and probably about 4 times during the day. He is on solids and eats really well, but he still likes to breastfeed. I am not really weaning him, but I don't offer it. I only nurse him when he cries for it. Anyway, just wondering how many calories I am burning from nursing this late in the game...

Thanks!

Replies

• courtneysmith3212
    Options
    I am not positively sure about this but I did hear that the first 6 months you burn about 500-600 calories breastfeeding, and 6 months to a year it goes down to about 200-300 calories burned..I am not for sure.. so good luck on finding out for sure..but um, I know it is more accurate if you know how much they are getting like in ounces.. so maybe if you pump and find out how much he is eating daily.. you might be able to research it to be sure on the actual amount your burning.. sorry I am not much help..
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Try and pump to get an estimate of what he is taking in. There is an entry for it in the foods database. It will subtract for breastfeeding. But I kinda doubt that it is much at that age, but its worth trying.