Arc Trainer Hands-Free?

Options
So I have always loved the Arc Trainer, def my go-to cardio machine. I just recently started going hands-free while I am on it, meaning not holding on to the handle bars at all, but instead moving my arms in the same motion that you would when you are running. After doing some research if this was okay, I found out that apparently that is exactly what you are suppose to do on the Arc Trainer. The handle bars are there to help you stabilize yourself and to catch yourself from falling off, but in general go hands free. I love it, def gets my heart rate up a lot quicker and a def break more of a sweat. Just curious if anyone else goes hands free.

Also, my lower back muscle has been sore since I started going hands-free. I guess it's because my body is sorta twisting, similar to a running motion. Guess that's a good thing, using muscles I never had before.

Replies

• toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've never used an Arc Trainer but I do go hands-free on certain ellipticals where I'm able to keep my balance. Sometimes I hold small handweights too.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's how I use arc trainers, hands free. I normally try to find a machine which doesn't even have the handles so I'm not tempted. I can definitely feel it in my legs and butt after an hour workout (Walking feels weird for a few minutes afterward.). I don't know if it makes a huge difference using the handles or not (calorie burn wise), as it still takes energy to use your arms.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. It feels good and it's helping me with balance, which I am weak in.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Holding the handles on any cardio machine can reduce calorie burns by up to 30%! This is because you are taking some if your body weight off your legs by holding yourself up. It's why Jillian Michaels always screams at the contestants to stop touching the treadmills!! Obviously if you are going too fast and feel like you will lose your balance, stabilize yourself and maybe slow down until your core is strong enough to stabilize you, then speed up or increase intensity!
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone :)

I must admit, I feel like such a badass when I am hands free on a row of Arc Trainers and everyone else is hanging on for dear life, haha!