Elliptical / cross trainers which to buy?

clioandboy
clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
hi I am seriously thinking of purchasing a cross trainer, I do not use one at present I cycle , walk n jog but they look like a good move for me , however zilch knowledge small budget any advice on key features and recommendations etc very welcome

For example should I consider a used machine or would you advise against it?

I am pretty good at committing to such things so I reckon I would use it most days as would my partner

Thanks in advance

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    My friend has a Precor Elliptical and loves it. Hers does not have the arms, however, and I think she wishes she had purchased the one that does. Precor, used in many fitness centers, has several "at home" models.
  • Having an elliptical has made a huge improvement in my exercise routine. I have a TotalGym which is great for resistance but not so good for cardio. I like using the elliptical to warmup for 5 minutes and then I move into weights or just continue the elliptical.

My suggestions are used or new, just be sure to get one that feels smooth and that you enjoy using. At the recommendation of my son who spent a bit of time in a fitness club, we bought a Smooth Fitness CE7.4 and I have thanked him often for the recommendation. It is extremely smooth and quiet and very much like what you might expect to find at a fitness club. In fact I had a chance to try a few at a fitness club and could not find much benefit there over what I had at home. I also tried a few at one of the sports warehouses and I was appalled at the poor quality I found there. The movements were jerky and not at all like walking. The mechanisms on more than a few were as complicated as you would find on a steam locomotive and I saw them as unnecessary pinch hazards and dust traps. The 7.4 has 3 pivot points on each side, all sealed. The beauty is in the simplicity. The warehouse models were a lot less expensive but I realized that if that was what I had waiting for me at home, I would quickly turn it into a clothing rack. Over Labor Day weekend I visited with my brother and he invited me to use their exercise room. They had a cheap elliptical along with a cheap bike and a cheap treadmill. Guess what.... none were being used and no wonder. They simply were not comfortable.

Get the best quality you can afford and if you cannot afford the quality, use the fitness club. Don't buy a cheap elliptical. Just so you know, what I spent on my elliptical would buy 4 years of gym membership for one person but an added benefit to me is my wife is using it too so the 4 years becomes 2. In 2 years it will begin to pay for itself. If I could have just one machine in my garage, it would be the 7.4 because my wife likes to use it too. It serves double-duty.
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    I bought one just recently and I absolutely love it. Although I actually went with a cheap one. >.>

Here's a good article that you'll need to know before you buy regardless of how much you spend.

http://www.allellipticals.com/stride-length-of-elliptical-trainers.html
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    thanks guys,

I shall check out the CE 7.4 and the article, my budget absolutely wont stretch to a gym quality machine I am sure,

I hadnt thought of the purchase in terms of price versus gym membership so thanks for the tip with that too! nbingham which model did you get?
  • rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    I have a cheap Elliptical, its the Weslo Momentum 630. Its small, cheap and it works great for me. I'm 5'4 and the stride is perfect for me and its easy to use and its pretty quite. I couldnt afford a big expensive elliptical but this does the job.
This discussion has been closed.