Cheese

Options
Cheese has become my current food fixation. No idea why but whatever, it's yummy.

Sadly cheese is high calorie and I really love those little Colby cubes. Seriously who eats only four cubes of cheese and calls it done?

So I'd love to hear your ideas for meals and snacks with cheese. No cottage cheese though - can't stand that stuff!

Replies

• toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love cheese in eggs...I discovered the shredded Italian mix I use in lasagna tastes great. And a little goes a long way so I don't go overboard.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I've turned to cream cheese as a way to portion it out a little better, and I love me some mozzarella sticks. I used to be a cheese fiend, but I've found I don't miss it as much as I used to. I do still have pizza each week with the parents, but I do weigh the mozzarella out to make sure I don't use too much. O.o
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I like a slice of provolone with any type of deli meat on wheat bread with mustard. With a serving of veggies it usually comes to between 300-500 calories and makes for a protein packed lunch.

I LOVE cheesy, vegetable filled scrambled eggs with a big glass of orange juice (eggs over easy goes with biscuits, gravy and sausage though.)

Sargento reduced fat cheddar sticks with a tart granny smith apple. Cut both up in to bite sized pieces and eat them together. YUM. About a 120 calorie snack.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with cheese is the sodium and saturated fat. I like the harder cheeses, much more flavor and you use much less. My favorite is Asiago.

I also like Sargento's Light mozzarella string cheese when I'm craving a soft cheese, and the Sargento baby swiss when I want a grilled cheese or cheese on my burger.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you love cheese... I'd limit it in meals and just have one serving of the cheese you love as a snack. This way you'll enjoy it more.

Personally I mostly use low fat cheese in dishes - in eggs, sandwiches, tacos, salads etc.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't have meal ideas, but I know my husband is a big fan of the Cabot brand of cheeses. I don't have a block of it handy but the calorie count on those really isn't that bad.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I love Mozzarella light. Low in cals with a lot of protein.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have these with my lunch they are only 50 calories, and delicous.

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=6&id=8
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a cheese LOVER

I stick to Mini Baybel LIGHT cheese (50 cal and SO good/satisfying)

and the Organic LIGHT string cheese from trader joes ( I think its 60 cal)
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    oh and who could forget feta cheese in my salad (35 cal per tablespoon)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Mac n Cheese, cacio e pepe, grilled cheese sandwiches, croque madame sandwiches, quesadillas etc etc
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    String Cheese -70-80 cal

i use Parmesan on salads a tablespoon...and it gives it great flavor

I love cheese too!!
  • Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The Laughing Cow cheese wedges - 35 cal each and lots of cheese.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there. I also love cheese. 1/4 cup shredded cheddar is usually 140 cals and i can eat 2 cups no problem. :P
  • istoria1011
    istoria1011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow is my go to for cheese fix. Without those happy little wedges, that block of cheddar wouldn't stand a chance.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I eat light string cheese. It takes me a while to eat it, so that helps me feel like it's more substantial. I also love laughing cow and crackers. Cabot reduced fat cheese (sold in block form only from what I've seen) are SOOO good if you enjoy fine cheese. Their RF sharp cheddar really has great flavor and doesn't taste RF at all.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Gouda, swiss and cheddar are good with apples.

Like everything else, I measure it out and make it work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've just learned to enjoy my cheese in much more moderate portions than I used to. I used to eat about 1/4 Lb per day of good sharp cheddar and wash that down with a good pint of whole milk. I very rarely eat chunks of cheese like that anymore and really only usually have some thin slices on a sandwich (usually around an ounce) or finely grated as a topping...usually less than 1/2 an ounce. I also eat very high quality cheese these days and cheese that is very powerful in flavor.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    May I recommend you try the Sartori Bellavitano line of cheeses? Particularly the raspberry or merlot?

Or the Montemore.

Or try an English Tintern.

Oh hell, now I need more cheese.
  • rbelfiore0262
    rbelfiore0262 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love laughing cow also. On some granny smith apples... better than cheesecake!!!