Still so freakin' confused.

Options
I've posted a few topics relating, and I've done some searching in the forums, but I must be slow because I'm still confused/nervous!

My entire weight loss journey over the past year I have had my MFP settings set at sedentary, and ate back exercise calories.

Now that I am at a lower weight ( I am 5'2, F, 21yrs old, & 106LBS now )
-- I find it hard to have such a low maintenance level ( 1441 calories at sedentary ) as something I need to sustain for the rest of my life.
I have been burning myself out trying to exercise, just to eat more day-to-day and the days I don't exercise and sit all day, I am hungry since the previous days I got up to 1700 calories or so from beating myself.

So, I wanted to switch to TDEE method.
But I am SO confused how to do that.

Calculators are giving me anything from 1640 - 1780 calories for "Lightly Active".
I am ASSUMING I am lightly active, as I go to the gym 1 - 2 days a week for an hour on the Arc Trainer.
Twice a week I walk over 40 minutes.
The rest of the time I sit on my butt literally all day.
( I hope to get more active when it's warmer...)

So I'd consider that light, right?

I can't figure out what calories to use, either...

What sites give me for "Lightly Active"
Accurate Scooby Site: 1652
Regular Scooby Site: 1790
IIFYM Site: 1650
The Fast Diet Site: 1649
MyFitnessPal: 1680
Fitness Frog Site: 1791

( I tried the charts/data/equation thing but Im confused by that too and really get frustrated when trying it. )

Then there's the issue of how to raise my calories.
I raised my calories to 1500 ( So about 100 past the sedentary maintenance I have now ) and I am not eating back exercise calories for the week. Next week I plan to up to 1600 calories and do the same. I was thinking of doing 1700 to have even number and average it all out? What do you guys think

Or can I jump to the 1700 right away? I dont mind fluctuations in water AS LONG as they go away.
I dont want to gain, though. SCARRRY.

Am I going about this right? I hate to spam threads but I REALLY don't want to gain anything and want to do this right to where Im not frustrated and cant keep all my hard work off.
Why is maintenance harder than losing, haha

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Think you are getting confused for no good reason!
    MFP allowance + exercise calories will work out the same over the course of a week as TDEE.

In the end you are going to have to pick a calorie allowance and try it for a period of time to see if you lose, gain or maintain.
    So either pick one of the numbers you have found, take an average of all of them or use your own data.

And you know what? Whatever you do will will no doubt have to make some adjustments. All the estimates in the world from as many sources as you can find all over the web and wondering about activity levels will still only give you an ESTIMATE!

So my advice to break through your "analysis paralysis" is just pick a nice round number, log everything as accurately as you can for four weeks and see what results you get. Keep it simple.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    MFP allowance + exercise calories will work out the same over the course of a week as TDEE.

In the end you are going to have to pick a calorie allowance and try it for a period of time to see if you lose, gain or maintain.
    So either pick one of the numbers you have found, take an average of all of them or use your own data.

And you know what? Whatever you do will will no doubt have to make some adjustments. All the estimates in the world from as many sources as you can find all over the web and wondering about activity levels will still only give you an ESTIMATE!

So my advice to break through your "analysis paralysis" is just pick a nice round number, log everything as accurately as you can for four weeks and see what results you get. Keep it simple.

Woo, but leap of faith here. But I'm willing to try...
    Would I just pick a number and go, or do I up slowly?
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job with the weight loss!! Your weight is very low but do you know your BMR? The higher your BMR the more calories you will burn sedentary. A higher BMR is accomplished by having lean body mass and muscle. To do that you want to eat lean protein, healthy complex carbs and healthy fats. What is the composition of your macros?
    Your absolute best bet is to go speak to a dietician.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Fantastic job with the weight loss!! Your weight is very low but do you know your BMR? The higher your BMR the more calories you will burn sedentary. A higher BMR is accomplished by having lean body mass and muscle. To do that you want to eat lean protein, healthy complex carbs and healthy fats. What is the composition of your macros?

Accurate Scooby Site says BMR is 1201.
    I have been trying to do strength training, but seeing little results.
    Probably from being in a deficit. I try to eat more protein, and I try to have 40/40/20 macros.
    But I tend not to pay attention to them, a lot of the time, unfortunately.

But either way Id like to get my maintenance calories straightened out first with this TDEE mess before I fix my body composition issues! That's a whole new ball park for me. Im slow and confused easily. :tongue:
  • sijomial
    Options

You might find it easier mentally to walk them up week on week (100 calorie increments for example) so you don't get freaked out by suddenly eating more and seeing a probable rebound on the scales.
  • Makoce
    Options

You might find it easier mentally to walk them up week on week (100 calorie increments for example) so you don't get freaked out by suddenly eating more and seeing a probable rebound on the scales.

Thanks.
    Should I do what Im doing in that time, which is not eating back exercise calories while upping?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Since you're doing pretty regular, measured exercise I would start by using sedentary TDEE from a calculator, multiplying by 7, adding in the approximate number of calories you burn through exercise (total) throughout the week, then divide by 7.

Use that number as your starting point. Wait a month and if your weight has changed make small adjustments.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Since you're doing pretty regular, measured exercise I would start by using sedentary TDEE from a calculator, multiplying by 7, adding in the approximate number of calories you burn through exercise (total) throughout the week, then divide by 7.

Use that number as your starting point. Wait a month and if your weight has changed make small adjustments.

Sounds good to me!

Edit: Gives me about 1554 calories.
    Ill start there.
  • sijomial
    Options

Thanks.
    Should I do what Im doing in that time, which is not eating back exercise calories while upping?
    Just flip straight to TDEE method at approximately the same level as you seem to have been doing recently from a quick look at your diary (looks like 1400 + approx 350 exercise). So you could start at 1750 and walk up from there.
  • Makoce
    Options

Thanks.
    Just flip straight to TDEE method at approximately the same level as you seem to have been doing recently from a quick look at your diary (looks like 1400 + approx 350 exercise). So you could start at 1750 and walk up from there.

Seems like I burn about 800 calories a week.
    ( 362 for 60 minutes on the elliptical twice a week, so 724 -- plus 40 minutes of walking twice a week about 160 total. So like, 884 )
    I had two binge weeks so most of my time was spent exercising that off, so these few weeks wern't really accurate to follow as far as data from my diary.
    But thanks! If I can at least get to 1700 without gaining, It should be enough food for me to feel like it's more of a regular routine vs. trying to calorie crunch.
    My total goal is to get my maintenance high as possible without gaining...I want food haha :B

Thanks so much for the help guys, Im a little more relieved.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Also you mean up to 1750 right now?
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Accurate Scooby Site says BMR is 1201.
    I have been trying to do strength training, but seeing little results.
    Probably from being in a deficit. I try to eat more protein, and I try to have 40/40/20 macros.
    But I tend not to pay attention to them, a lot of the time, unfortunately.

But either way Id like to get my maintenance calories straightened out first with this TDEE mess before I fix my body composition issues! That's a whole new ball park for me. Im slow and confused easily. :tongue:

OK First your macros. I assume your proportions = 40/40/20 is Protein/Carbs/Fat. If so, for someone your size and activity level protein is key! Your entire body is composed of Proteins. Make sure your proteins are complete lean proteins (amino acids). Carbs are important - think of them like kindling on the fire. Think of healthy fats like the log in the fire. Fats deliver all the carbs and proteins to your body. Keep it simple with a protein shake that has all the protein/carbs/fat you need to supplement your nutrition.
  • Makoce
    Options
    I usually load up on protein on days I do strength training.
    See my diary for tomorrow as an example.
    Otherwise my family is carboholics
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    All those calculations that you listed aren't that far apart. Just average them and start there.
  • Makoce
    Options
    All those calculations that you listed aren't that far apart. Just average them and start there.

Used a site to average them and it's 1702. So about what I thought was average. Hm.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It is confusing and it might be because these sites are giving information that fits most people. but we are all individuals and our needs are different. What I did is to gradually increase my calories once I hit my goal weight. Strangely enough I continued to lose weight because I had also upped my exercise. I tend not to add back all the calories burned during the week because I tend to go over my calories on the weekend so for me it all balances out. Right now I have my calories set at 1900 and almost every other site I checked has be between 1500 - 1700 (I'm 5'8" and weigh 145 and while I have a desk job I walk a lot, get to the gym, do yoga). If I ate that little, I'd be losing weight quickly.

I think I've stabilized now, but if I find I'm still losing, I'll add another 50 calories/day. Funny, I'm at 1900 now and I started back in October 2011 eating 2000 calories/day to lose weight.
  • Makoce
    Options
    It is confusing and it might be because these sites are giving information that fits most people. but we are all individuals and our needs are different. What I did is to gradually increase my calories once I hit my goal weight. Strangely enough I continued to lose weight because I had also upped my exercise. I tend not to add back all the calories burned during the week because I tend to go over my calories on the weekend so for me it all balances out. Right now I have my calories set at 1900 and almost every other site I checked has be between 1500 - 1700 (I'm 5'8" and weigh 145 and while I have a desk job I walk a lot, get to the gym, do yoga). If I ate that little, I'd be losing weight quickly.

I think I've stabilized now, but if I find I'm still losing, I'll add another 50 calories/day. Funny, I'm at 1900 now and I started back in October 2011 eating 2000 calories/day to lose weight.

Probably! Back when I started losing I was eating around 1700.
    So weird how that plays out.
  • WALKSMARATHONS
    Options
    I've posted a few topics relating, and I've done some searching in the forums, but I must be slow because I'm still confused/nervous!

My entire weight loss journey over the past year I have had my MFP settings set at sedentary, and ate back exercise calories.

Now that I am at a lower weight ( I am 5'2, F, 21yrs old, & 106LBS now )
    -- I find it hard to have such a low maintenance level ( 1441 calories at sedentary ) as something I need to sustain for the rest of my life.
    I have been burning myself out trying to exercise, just to eat more day-to-day and the days I don't exercise and sit all day, I am hungry since the previous days I got up to 1700 calories or so from beating myself.

So, I wanted to switch to TDEE method.
    But I am SO confused how to do that.

Calculators are giving me anything from 1640 - 1780 calories for "Lightly Active".
    I am ASSUMING I am lightly active, as I go to the gym 1 - 2 days a week for an hour on the Arc Trainer.
    Twice a week I walk over 40 minutes.
    The rest of the time I sit on my butt literally all day.
    ( I hope to get more active when it's warmer...)

So I'd consider that light, right?

I can't figure out what calories to use, either...

What sites give me for "Lightly Active"
    Accurate Scooby Site: 1652
    Regular Scooby Site: 1790
    IIFYM Site: 1650
    The Fast Diet Site: 1649
    MyFitnessPal: 1680
    Fitness Frog Site: 1791

( I tried the charts/data/equation thing but Im confused by that too and really get frustrated when trying it. )

Then there's the issue of how to raise my calories.
    I raised my calories to 1500 ( So about 100 past the sedentary maintenance I have now ) and I am not eating back exercise calories for the week. Next week I plan to up to 1600 calories and do the same. I was thinking of doing 1700 to have even number and average it all out? What do you guys think

Or can I jump to the 1700 right away? I dont mind fluctuations in water AS LONG as they go away.
    I dont want to gain, though. SCARRRY.

Am I going about this right? I hate to spam threads but I REALLY don't want to gain anything and want to do this right to where Im not frustrated and cant keep all my hard work off.
    Why is maintenance harder than losing, haha

The biggest mistake you can make is to count calories and restrict yourself; this is a guaranteed way to slow your metabolism and gain even more weight. You should focus instead on what you put into your body. If you give your body the proper nutrients it will feel satisfied on far fewer calories and you will naturally attain a proper weight. Exercise is a good way to boost your metabolism but your eating habits are far more important. Don't confuse matters by trying to find the right formula or combination to do this or that, just don't eat tasty substances which are not food.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Best way to be allowed more calories, would be to get into building up a bit of muscle now, accepting the possibility of a little weight gain from this, and focusing on that body composition, rather than on the scale number, because one can be a low weight, yet still have a high fat %, as I am sure you know. You could easily afford to be 10Ibs more, so maybe look more into doing some weight training which would allow to eat more, and even involve you needing to eat more if you went for a bulk and cut method. Wanting to maintain a low weight can come at the cost of having to maintain a low calorie intake forever more to keep it that low. You have to decide which you would rather have... the lower weight, and lower calories and having to do lots of exercise to eat more, or a higher weight, tight and fit body and being able to eat more food.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You're too young to be worrying so much about this. Take a breather and really congratulate yourself for what you've done already! It's amazing.
    You sound fearful and that's stressful. Try and find a way to live at maintenance in a relaxed and enjoying way. That could be a long process but try and enjoy it. You won't lose control.

I felt like this a lot too in my life. Weight training has changed everything for me. I lift heavy 2/3 times a week. Sometimes I'm on a deficit and it helps me maintain muscle, and sometimes on a bulk and it helps grow muscle. Sometimes I don't know what I'm doing and I know I'm doing my slight overeating thing from life time habits. This time though, it gets turned into muscle, and it stops me panicking.

It's a win win situation. I will lift for the rest of my days, because it helps my body to look good, but also my mindset, and I enjoy my food.

Find your own tdee! Log everything, weigh everyday and average it out at the end of the week and plot a graph that you can see.

Take your time! You've got your whole life ahead of you my love.