Scale Disappointment

Options
Okay, so the last time I weighed myself (which was at the YMCA on their bathroom scale) it said that I had lost another 6 lbs. I was PUMPED. But because I didn't like the reader part of the scale I decided to finally break down and buy my own with a digital reader. When I got home and weighed myself, the scale read the same as it did when I started. I was completely discouraged. Have a really gained ALL those pounds back?! I know it's just been a month, but I work out 5-6 days a week and have been really watching what I eat. I know that the SuperBowl weekend was terrible for me food wise but I didn't think it was THAT bad! Now I am trying to get back into being motivated but it's really hard.

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO

Dont get disappointed! I am in the same boat as you.. Same thing happened this morning, scale went right back up. Sucks, BUT I also now I have been treating my body better the last month by eating right and working out. So its never a loss when it comes to treating your body right.

Keep it up!
  • Sheenaf8
    Sheenaf8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From experience, different scales are calorbrated differently. Here is a tip, pick one scale and weigh yourself at the same time everyday. I retain water and take a blood pressure pill that is a diuretic at night so I like to weigh myself in the mornings. When I was working with my nutritionist, her scale was 5lbs off from what mine said. Also, measure yourself because after working out for a long period of time, inches will prove to be a better indicator.:flowerforyou:
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates often, personally mine does. I can weigh low in the morning and weigh 5 pounds more the next morning. don't be too concerned just pick a scale and try to weigh yourself the same time once a week on the same scale.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This is why I joined a no weigh February challenge. Instead of getting discouraged because I didn't lose, I am very proud of myself for eating well and moving around a lot :)
  • fatbitt
    Options
    It's the scale. The difference between scales can be wild! My parents digital scale is 15lbs different than mine (mine is newer and correct) but they both refuse to use mine. So from here on out use the same scale!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It's probably the scale. They all read differently. Go back to the Y and weigh yourself there again; you'll see.

The number is only an indication of what's happening. Choose a scale and it's number and work from it but don't get hung up on the actual numbers. They are a bit arbitrary.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things and it's working.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, each scale varies! Are you weighing and measuring your food? You may be eating more than you realize.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hate my scale and I'm *this* close to chucking it right out the window. Mine keeps creeping back up and up and up. (my own fault) but it's hard to see those numbers. :noway:

I am focusing on getting myself down to the size I want to be rather than a number on the scale. Much easier for me to handle than those constantly changing numbers! :drinker:
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I weighed myself again at the Y last night and their scale said the same thing. I must be eating way too much or not enough of the right kinds of foods. Soooo, now I must try to pay better attention to the foods I eat and keep up my exercising. I have to say though, today I feel a lot better about myself so I think the dark clouds hanging over me are moving on. Much of that is the support of good people like you, so thank you :)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    The scale at the YMCA might not have been calibrated. I hopped on a scale once and was ecstatic to see that I dropped almost 5lbs! Until I hopped off, 'zeroed' it and saw that it wasn't calibrated. :grumble:

I have my own home scale (digital) that I weigh myself on and only use that.

Also weight can fluctuate a lot. Mine can be up (or down) 2-4 lbs a day depending on what I ate, how much water I consumed, how much salt was in the food, if I had alcohol etc. etc.