swimming at the gym

Options
Is it inappropriate to swim laps in a regular bikini? I don't own a one piece but if it's better etiquette, I guess I'll buy one.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, As with the weight room, no one is looking at you.

Rigger
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's fine. Most people wear "race" suits because the straps/bottoms don't fall down while you are swimming. I know you can get some at Big 5 for decent prices.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find my Speedo one piece more comfortable but I didn't invest in it until I felt I enjoyed swimming laps enough to stick with it regularly. Buying it was a very good decision - I can focus more on swimming instead of what my bathing suit is doing..
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I find my Speedo one piece more comfortable but I didn't invest in it until I felt I enjoyed it enough to stick with it. Buying it was a very good decision - I can focus more on swimming instead of what my bathing suit is doing..

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't want to be worried about wardrobe malfunctions the whole time. Mine are more for looking cute and laying on a beach.
  • basowner
    basowner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    if I could wear a bikini i'd wear it to the grocery store! ha-ha enjoy it.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I'm sure it's fine. Most people wear "race" suits because the straps/bottoms don't fall down while you are swimming. I know you can get some at Big 5 for decent prices.

Hopefully they have one like in your profile pic. Those high cut thighs are so hot.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't wear a bikini to swim laps is that I am afraid a boob will pop out. :embarassed:
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Right?! lol
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Right?! lol

I'm not exactly in bikini shape right now (or ever), I just don't give a *kitten*. Wear those bikinis if you want to. The only thing you really need to pull off the bikini is a fabulous attitude!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am watching. Wardrobe malfunctions are probably the biggest issue from what I see =P

70927-Andy-Samberg-creep-gif-creepy-QCWR.gif
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I do laps 5 days a week and even if I had a bikini ready body, I wouldn't wear one doing laps (or the water aerobics classes) for fear of popping out somewhere. My mistake was getting one that has a hook for the strap that goes along the top of the shoulders.. Can be a bi--ch to put on especially when it was new and not stretched.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    ^Thank you for cementing my decision on a one piece.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Hopefully they have one like in your profile pic. Those high cut thighs are so hot.

Ya, know? I actually kind of miss those high thighs (maybe not THAT high). High thigh suits were flatter for us ladies with thicker legs. Not that there's anything wrong with thick legs...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have "work oriented" two piece- and I did one flip turn and lost the *kitten* end- so nope.

I couldn't imagine actual bikini bottoms staying in place with any amount of effort and force through the water. They have to be incredibly snug to stay through flip turns- there is no way I'd use a regular bikini. To much risk! But use what you have- but user be ware!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I find my Speedo one piece more comfortable but I didn't invest in it until I felt I enjoyed swimming laps enough to stick with it regularly. Buying it was a very good decision - I can focus more on swimming instead of what my bathing suit is doing..

^This! And I was diving, so I definitely need a one piece!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Ya, know? I actually kind of miss those high thighs (maybe not THAT high). High thigh suits were flatter for us ladies with thicker legs. Not that there's anything wrong with thick legs...

Hey! My bathing suit actually goes that high!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Hey! My bathing suit actually goes that high!

254.jpg
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I sometimes swim laps in a bikini, (not much going on up top to worry about:grumble: ) but my main reason for buying a gym-specific suit is the pool EATS MY BIKINIS! My gym uses bromine instead of chlorine, which is less harsh on your lungs but really rough on fabric. Depending on what chemicals your gym uses, your cute bikinis may get all faded and baggy really quickly! I am not positive, but I think sports suits are built to withstand the chemicals more than fashion suits. You can find sporty two-pieces as well.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just wear what's comfortable. I was a competitive swimmer in school, and I will say racing suits (the ones with an X shape in the back) are great. You don't have to worry about anything falling off. But if you're just doing laps, I highly doubt you'll lose your top.

In case you're looking for a cheap suit, I'd recommend kiefer.com. If you don't care about the color, just get the grab bag suit. They'll send you suit in your size in whatever style they're trying to get rid of. Don't worry, it's usually a plain blue or black suit. They've also got cheap goggles and swim caps.
  • karnes71
    Options
    As long as you are comfortable and the suit fits well... Who cares!!