Confused about Calorie/day ?? HELP

Options
RBhyan
RBhyan Posts: 31 Member
I am 31 , 5'11" , CW : 165.8 lbsand presently doing Exercises 6 days/week . When I checked on IIFYM calculator it tells this :
TDEE : 2637
BMR : 1751
For Fat Loss (15-20% ) : 2110 Calories/day

But here when i set my Goal to losing 2 pounds/week it shows 1440 calories/day . So i am confused now because of huge gap between 2110 & 1440 . Is it because of my Cardio & Exercises OR I am doing something wrong . Please HELP

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    2 different calculators
    If you are going with the TDEE method, use it and don't log exercise. If you are going with the MFP method (although I don't recommend using 2lbs per week as a goal), log exercise and eat back the calories (with a HRM eat 'em all, with MFP suggested burns eat half to 3/4 of them back)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there's no way you are going to lose 2 pounds of fat per week with you already at a healthy weight. Change the setting to .5 pounds a week, and your calorie goal will be closer to what you had in mind.

ETA: Also, TDEE includes your exercise while MFP calculation does not. That's another reason for the huge difference.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How active did you say you when calculating TDEE? I find that my TDEE-20% calculations are usually within 50 calories of my MFP + exercise.

And, as another poster said, it is kind of silly to aim for 2 lbs./ week if you are already at a healthy weight. Patience, young grasshopper.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am 31 , 5'11" , CW : 165.8 lbsand presently doing Exercises 6 days/week . When I checked on IIFYM calculator it tells this :
    TDEE : 2637
    BMR : 1751
    For Fat Loss (15-20% ) : 2110 Calories/day

But here when i set my Goal to losing 2 pounds/week it shows 1440 calories/day . So i am confused now because of huge gap between 2110 & 1440 . Is it because of my Cardio & Exercises OR I am doing something wrong . Please HELP

1 - you're comparing apples to oranges in RE to your loss goals. 20% cut from your TDEE is around 1 Lb per week...right around a 500 calorie per day deficit...a 15% cut would be even less. 2 Lb per week loss goal would require a 1,000 calorie per day deficit so right there you a doubling up.

2 - TDEE calculators like IIFYM have an estimate of your exercise activity included in your activity level. MFP is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogensis) so exercise is NOT included in your activity level...it is accounted for after the fact when you log it.

3- 2Lbs per week is extremely aggressive and should really be if you have a lot of weight to lose...without the necessary fat stores to be that aggressive, you will just burn a lot of muscle. The leaner you are, the slower you should go to preserve your lean mass.