Started a month ago and only lost 5 pounds

2»

Replies

• mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Seriousy?! Some of us only can lose 1 - 2 lbs a month if we're lucky!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    It's unreasonable to expect to lose 2 pounds per week unless you are obese. You only have 25 lbs to lose, you can expect to lose .5-1 pounds per week.

Sounds like you're just on target.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    If you've been exercising more than normal, then you are likely gaining muscle (which weighs more) as well as losing fat. So you're getting healthier. Pay more attention to how you clothes fit than what the scale says. Congrats on your loss. :)
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    "only" 5 pounds in a month? I'd say you are doing perfectly. One pound a week is great. As much as we'd all love to instantly drop weight, losing it a bit slower is actually healthier and is easier to maintain.

Would you still say it was "only" 5 pounds if you'd gained it?

Agreed!!!!!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    We have a 5lb fat block in the office and it is huge! 5lb in a month is a great result.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Try to remember too, you put on the extra weight over time and it will take time to lose it. 5 lbs is a really good start and a really good month.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    If you've been exercising more than normal, then you are likely gaining muscle (which weighs more) as well as losing fat. So you're getting healthier. Pay more attention to how you clothes fit than what the scale says. Congrats on your loss. :)

You don't gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. Muscles may be becoming stronger though, or more visible as the percent of body fat reduces.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    you are not obese...you cannot expect to just drop a bunch of weight fast...the leaner you are/get the slower because you simply do not have the fat stores. trying to go to fast as you lean out will result in the loss of a lot of muscle mass in addition to your fat stores. in turn, the loss of lean mass will result in a slower basal metabolism.

not likely, particularly as OP is not obese and in a calorie deficit. OP might put on a tiny bit of muscle with newbie gains if she was obese, but it would be pretty small. you really can't build muscle in a calorie deficit because you are in a catabolic state.
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Everyone is right, 5 pounds in a month is good. If you feel like it should have been more, I would check your salt levels. That water weight can be pesky.
  • Sounds like you're off to a great start to me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Why are you complaining about a 5lb loss? That's terrific. :huh: Really sounds like your main problem is having unrealistic expectations.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Don't get discouraged. You didn't gain weight over night and unfortunately, you don't lose it overnight, either. The good news is, it takes more calories to supply a pound of muscle than what it does to supply a pound of fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body will be burning without any effort on your part :) Keep working out! Our bodies are really amazing once you learn more about them and the ways that they work! Don't give up. Trust your body, it knows what it's doing!
  • IvyRose8
    IvyRose8 Posts: 25 Member
    I can't blame her for unrealistic expectations when there is another thread about "Can I lose 20 pounds in two months?" and most folks say absolutely, just work hard. Heaven help her, maybe she watches The Biggest Loser and sees those major drops each week.

But yes, since you're near your healthy weight, losing five pounds a month is fantastic! Way to go!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Sounds right on to me! Great work!
  • geeberscreepers
    geeberscreepers Posts: 19 Member
    5lbs is a great achievement, you should be focusing on what you have achieved rather than what you feel like you haven't. Stay positive, enjoy feeling better and healthier and stick at it. Congratulations and good luck!

41228474.png
  • Would you still say it was "only" 5 pounds if you'd gained it?

Exactly! It's all about perspective... but it's tough, easier said than done.