Running pace watch recommendations?

Options
I am training for a marathon right now and as soon as it quits being cold as balls outside (like, you know, above zero degrees) I will be able to get OFF the treadmill and back onto the road where I belong :)

In the meantime I am looking for a pace watch. My long run days are paced to be much slower than I am used to and I feel like a Garmin or Nike+ or whatever might be of use to me.

Any recs? And any that won't break the bank either? I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles. Just one that will tell me how far I've ran, and how fast.

Replies

• fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Training on a treadmill right now.

In previous experience, I have had *some* issue finding my pace again after running a lot on a treadmill. But I keep reminding myself it wasn't all that far off and it only took a few runs to get the feel for it again.

I have run with a Garmin watch and it did help me. These days I've been using my phone and Map My Run. It gives you splits every mile and I've honestly found that to work reasonably well too. I'm planning to just set out at something that feels a tic slow (I tend to run too fast and run out of steam) until I get that first split update and adjust as needed. I often run at a park that has every half mile marked, so you can glance at your half mile split. Might see if there's anything like that near you or even drive your route in your car and find landmarks.

(edit) I've also found that just paying close attention to my breathing effort can give me a pretty good "real time" feedback. Maybe really pay attention to your breathing on your treadmill runs. But I run without music, so it's a little easier for me to concentrate on that.

Many places have local running sites. Might be able to find a "pace buddy".
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use. It's a little pricey but they have different version available for different budgets. Also, you may just want to download an app for your phone. There's quite a few that will work well like Endomondo or Map My Run or Runtastic that keep track of that info and are free apps.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeaahhhh... I don't have a cool phone. Lol. It's just a talk/text one, and yes, I realize I'm probably the last person on the planet with one of those!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I used a Timex with a stop watch. Actually, when I FIRST started, I just carried a stop watch. I mapped out a route in my neighborhood, measured it with my car and had landmarks. Only down side is you have to run the same route or a few you know.

You can use Map My Run on a computer and lay out a route in advance. It will show you the mile splits and should give you a good idea.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 610, but its on the pricey end. Garmin makes all kinds of intro-level watches (from the 110 to the new 220) that will probably suit you better.

This is a site I trust that has great reviews

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yeaahhhh... I don't have a cool phone. Lol. It's just a talk/text one, and yes, I realize I'm probably the last person on the planet with one of those!

nah, you're not alone. I have a dumb-phone too.

In to hear the answers, as they are relevant to my interests as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 610, but its on the pricey end. Garmin makes all kinds of intro-level watches (from the 110 to the new 220) that will probably suit you better.

This is a site I trust that has great reviews

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

This site is always a must read.

I am a Garmin fan. I've done the smart phone app thing - its doable, but it really is a pain when you want to see you time/distance/splits/pace, etc. I wear mine on my arm so unless you carry it, you just can't see it as easy (plus I still find it hard running and seeing the little numbers). I 've also done the mapping yourself.
    It all really depends on what you want. I'm to the point where my training has me running certain paces, or intervals and I like the data provided by Garmin.
    I have had 3 Garmins - one lost, one broken by a puppy and my current one. All were the basic entry level models, a bit pricey but worth the investment for me. I've had no issues with the product itself. They are very user friendly.
    I did call customer service once and was very happy with the service. I have seen a number of people online saying that they have had a broken unit and had Garmin replace it free of charge. They do get a lot of points for customer service.
    In the future I plan on investing in a higher end Garmin model. Obviously I like them, I keep buying them (this is over a 10 year period though and my latest is second hand).
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I;ve had the Nike+ watch for 2+ years. No problems. At the time I bought it only came with the foot pod too. I find the foot pod not to be accurate so I don't use it. The watch, I believe, can be sold with or without the foot pod now, (save $$$).
    Anyway, it is useful in tracking time, distance, pace, and you can upload your workouts to a log or reference as well as goals.

Good luck on your marathon!
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 that I like a lot. It's not the fanciest, but it didn't break the bank either. I love it, it tracks my pace, distance, heart rate and calories burned.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sometimes I think my "smart" phone is smarter than me (& my kids mock me for not using more than talk & text.....)

I'm another Garmin Fan, I used a 305 for several years. I was a bit big (a plus for my tired old eyes) and graduated to a 610 when it died.

Someone else posted a link to dcrainmaker's reviews......have a look at them to held determine which one best suits your needs.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I was a kickstarter backer for Bia so I should be getting mine very, very soon (weeks! Just in time to head back outdoors from the arctic winter we've had). It's not cheap though. Anyone who was a kickstarter could send you a link to a discount price of $249 for one.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/watch-designed-woman.html
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app. It tells you every 5 min in your headphones what your pace is, so that works for me. And it's free.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 10. I started running last year and wanted to track my pace and distance. There's also a function that beeps annoyingly at you if you aren't at your programmed pace- it was really helpful during my 15km as I normally use my ipod/rhythm to maintain pace.

I don't really need the heart race monitor or V02 which my husband wants- so I'm going to buy him a Garmin 220.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I bought the Garmin 610 last year after reading the reviews on dcrainmaker. Best running investment I ever made. I bought it after using run keeper for a while, and wanted to get a bit more serious. I was training for my first half. You won't regret the investment.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 910 - it is on the pricey side but I had a few reasons for the investment. Wanted a watch that wasn't TOO big but had good contrast as I'm visually impaired and use it for swimming along with running, my hands are apparnetly considered small and it fit mine nicely. Has a vibrate function so you can use tone/vibration or just one or the other which i useful when I'm out with my guide and we're say at a race where you can't always hear the watch go off and what have you. I also found a way to use some form of haptic feedback which helps me navigate it.

One of my guides had a Nike+ which is less expensive than Garmin I believe but she didn't like it for a few reasons and so doesn't really use it out on her runs and we'll use mine when she's with me.

Garmin also has some budget-friendly watches you can have a look at, overall it's a good solid brand. Timex also makes some pretty decent watches