3 weeks, always below 1200 calories

Options
janeytom
janeytom Posts: 72 Member
Hello from frosty NH! I started 3 weeks ago at 254, and have lost 11.2 lbs. 10 more to go, ten times :-)
I see it often stated that I should not go below 1200c/day, but I find myself short every day 40-150 calories.
I am just starting to exercise- I usually don't list it here, but I do 15-20 minutes of fast walking, and the Newbie strength routine.
I also don't log the water- 4 bottles a day (16.9 oz. each)
My question- should I be concerned with the shortfall of calories? If so, suggestions on something to add. I did change my ratio to 40/30/30 P/C/F. My diary is open.
I'm not hungry. Which is shocking to me. Thanks...
time for a walk!

Replies

• COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The worry of eating below 1200 calories is that you'll start compensating. But, if you're full, if you're not hungry, and your body is functioning well, then don't worry about it. You'll be fine.
  • janeytom
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply! And good luck to you on this journey- you CAN do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The worry of eating below 1200 calories is that you'll start compensating. But, if you're full, if you're not hungry, and your body is functioning well, then don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

For awhile..............if you a lot of weight to lose 1200 calories can be fine.

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

The OTHER worry about 1200 is that many people have a BMR (basal metabolic rate) that is higher than 1200. If this is the case you can expect fat+muscle loss (as you get closer to goal). Step down your weekly goal as you get closer.....and MFP will likely give you a higher number.

Hunger is NOT a good indicator of proper nourishment......some people are "stuffed" when eating 900 daily calories......if you look at their diaries you see tons of fiber. While filling (and low calorie) .....fiber does not help you maintain muscle mass.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Two words: Peanut Butter. With a spoon. Right out of the jar.
  • janeytom
    Options
    Yeah, more replies!
    My "friends" (not here) have told me that I'll lose muscle, That my body will go into starvation mode...you know all those things they say.
    I should add that I need to lose 100 lbs. I have MFP set to 2 lbs./week.
    Thanks again. Good info. Except the PB LOL- I couldn't judge correctly and would "indulge"!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    For me, I lost all of my weight slightly below 1200/day.
    I am eating more now, but no longer losing. I would like to lose an additional 5 pounds, but have stabilized at this weight, with small fluctuations in my weight. I am 62.
    It is an individual thing. You have to do what works for you and you should consult with your health care professional.
  • janeytom
    Options
    Thank you. I, too, am in my 60's. I am encouraged by your achievement- congratulations! I'm hoping to be here a year from now, encouraging another newbie!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    how accurate are you with your logging? Do you weigh everything, measuring only liquids? Do you do itemised logging (i.e. enter your bread, your spread, your ham instead of picking a ham sandwich from the database) Do you double check the entries of the database?
  • janeytom
    Options
    Yes, I weigh everything, and do every thing separately. I look up every single ingredient and weight it. NO guesses!

My digital scale is always on the counter. And my measuring spoon (coffee creamer/salad dressing, etc.).

I made meatloaf minis tonight, and rather than using a recipe from the database, I entered every ingredient myself. And divided equally into muffin tins.

I am done for the day, except a snack, and still have 168 calories left.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh everything, and do every thing separately. I look up every single ingredient and weight it. NO guesses!

My digital scale is always on the counter. And my measuring spoon (coffee creamer/salad dressing, etc.).

I made meatloaf minis tonight, and rather than using a recipe from the database, I entered every ingredient myself. And divided equally into muffin tins.

I am done for the day, except a snack, and still have 168 calories left.

the reason why I asked is that many people say they are eating 1200 calories when in reality they eat significantly more then that and thus are satisfied with seemingly very few calories.

Another issue is that if you have a 100 lbs to lose then at the not too distant past you easily ate more then 1200 calories, so to say you can't possibly eat more now is a little odd. As we age though, our appetite does reduce, so it is possible depending on how much you changed you diet that your hunger and satiety feelings are off.

What is your protein intake like?

Are you doing any exercise? If yes, what are you doing with those calories?
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Gotta keep the fire burning, if you let the fire go out and not fuel it you wont feel hungry. Try and find some calorie dense foods that fit your macros, peanut butter, avocado, almonds, granola, dried apricots. If you evenly space out your calorie needs over the day and set yourself up for a breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner you will give your body the all day fuel it needs to keep you fire burning.

good luck
  • MMFabrizio
    Options
    Great job on lowering your calories! That said, there is a good possibility of losing muscle by going too low. If you're less than 100 calories away, try having a banana for a healthy snack. Need a few more calories? Add a yogurt (like Yoplait or Activia, with the probiotics in them for even more nutrition.)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Looks like you just changed your macro settings a couple days ago...it will take time to adjust but if you actually ate your protein your calories would go up - since changing your macros you have only eaten about half the protein that your macros are set at. Protein is good for muscles that is why you see so many people who lift eat a lot of protein.

But if you are not hungry and you feel satisfied then as others have said you are probably okay for now but if you increase your exercise you will probably feel more hungry so when that happens I would go for the protein.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Do you just want to lose "weight" or do you want to lose primarily fat? If you want to be on a low-calorie diet, prepare to lose more lean mass (your muscle) along with your fat.