TDEE start

Options
Hi.... I started with TDEE method a few days ago. I was expecting my weight to go up, which it did. So just for my own encouragement, any experiences with TDEE who could let me know how long was it before you started to see weight loss? Or did you not even see any weight gain in the beginning?

For any TDEE experienced folks... my stats and numbers are: 45 yrs/Female, 5"5. Eating at 1700 right now and no excercise at all and a very sedentary job/life. Start weight 4 days ago was 178lbs. Current weight 179.4. Goal weight 145.

TIA

Replies

• Alinos31
    Options
    Bump.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the thing with TDEE is that you have to first be sure of your maintenance calories instead of just going by the formula.

the formula is just based on averages and can be different for individuals.

also what are your weight loss goals? are you expecting to lose 2 pounds a week? also are you tracking and measuring everything you eat?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just based on your stats you are eatin too many calories. You should be eating About 1500 calories to lose based on your stats. Make sure you are drinking at least 64oz water and not consuming too much sodium(<2500 mg). Try this and see what happens. I have been eating my tdee -20% and you will lose but it won't come off over night but it will happen. If you want to have more calories squeeze in some exercise. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'd say it took a couple of weeks to see the scale move once I started TDEE, it stayed fairly consistent since then.

ETA - I do TDEE -20% and go to the gym 6 days a week, so my experience may be very different than yours :smile:
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi.... I started with TDEE method a few days ago. I was expecting my weight to go up, which it did. So just for my own encouragement, any experiences with TDEE who could let me know how long was it before you started to see weight loss? Or did you not even see any weight gain in the beginning?

For any TDEE experienced folks... my stats and numbers are: 45 yrs/Female, 5"5. Eating at 1700 right now and no excercise at all and a very sedentary job/life. Start weight 4 days ago was 178lbs. Current weight 179.4. Goal weight 145.

TIA

I'd be interested in the responses since my TDEE was pretty high also (45 yrs/Female 5'4", semi-sendentary, with same goal weight). But I lowered it and have been eating right around 1450-1500 and have yet to see a significant loss (my diary isn't up to date as I've had the flu for the past week and logging was just not gonna happen).
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    You're body needs to adapt to this. I would give it another week and see where you're at.

Considering how much weight you have to lose - I wouldn't go any lower than this right now or it will be harder to get to your goal.

Last week I ate just under my maintenance (1650) with exercise to help repair my metabolism and gained 6 lbs over the week. Which was water weight from my body adjusting - now I'm back at cutting my calories and those 6 lbs are gone.

The human body can adapt to a lot of things, you just need to give it time.

Why don't you try to incorporate some light activity like walking? Maybe like 30min a day?
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just based on your stats you are eatin too many calories. You should be eating About 1500 calories to lose based on your stats. Make sure you are drinking at least 64oz water and not consuming too much sodium(<2500 mg). Try this and see what happens. I have been eating my tdee -20% and you will lose but it won't come off over night but it will happen. If you want to have more calories squeeze in some exercise. Hope this helps and good luck!
    ^ This

You are eating at just under 95% of your maintenance calories. At this rate, you will lose 10 lbs / year. If you're comfortable with losing at this rate, this goal "should" work for you. The main issue being that it is impossible for an online calculator to be so close in determining your maintenance calories. If you want to lose weight more quickly and ensure that you are indeed eating at a deficit, cut your calories to around 1500 and/or add some exercise.

Also, there is no reason it would be normal to gain weight the first few days of a TDEE regimen.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've been eating TDEE -20% (1640) for two weeks now, and have gained 2 pounds. :/
    I know it takes my body time to adjust...but I'm looking forward to losing again. Haven't lost an ounce since November, and I still have a LONG way to go.
  • notwithoutsalt
    notwithoutsalt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    TDEE is an estimate: try this site http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr.
    You are on the high end with 1700 cal. Might be too high for you since you havent seen a result. Try the low end that the link above gives you.
    Following TDEE is important because you prevent your body to go into starvation mode, but you still need to burn 3500 cal to lose 1 pound a week. Most of us cant just cut 20% of TDEE (maximum amount suggested) and burn that extra 500 cal. So... It means you need to workout more effeciently. Walk, swim, bike, run... Anything you can do will help.:wink:
  • Alinos31
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was trying to find what my maintenance calories were at this weight. I do intend to start excercising and with atleast 40 mins of brisk walking and about 20 mins of light weights that should account for about 350 calories which should ideally be my deficit from 1700 calories.

Though I still dont know how long I should wait to see if this calorie level is working for me. Someone mentioned 2 weeks before any weightloss?
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    You are eating at your TDEE level to maintain current weight. Trying lowering calories by 15% and make sure to stay within the your target macronutrient levels (carbs, protein, etc.).

Stick with it and try to be patient...this isn't a linear process and consistency is important to achieiving sustainable weight loss. You can do it =)
  • amcozy
    amcozy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started my year off with the TDEE method after several false starts eating too little and floundering. I saw little change in my weight for about a week or two and then it was consistently about a pound loss each week after that. More so than just looking at the caloric picture, I also increased proteins a lot, downed my carbs just a little, and I live with a bottle of water in my hand. I also would recommend introducing an exercise routine - even if it's only ten minutes a day. Sodium levels are key as well. I'll send over a friend request :) I'd love to help motivate as you move forward :)
  • Alinos31
    Options
    Thank you!