Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How many calories do I really burn on treadmill?

Hi I am a 21 yr old female and I am 5'6" and weigh 97lbs. I go on the treadmill every day for an hour at 3.1 mph and 10% incline... How many calories is that? My app says 220 but websites range from 200 to 350? Should I just assume 200?

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Completely off topic, but... 5'6, 97 lbs? Ninety-seven pounds?

I think you should consult a doctor before doing some kind of exercise program. It may be unhealthy for you given your low weight.
  • Completely off topic, but... 5'6, 97 lbs? Ninety-seven pounds?

I think you should consult a doctor before doing some kind of exercise program. It may be unhealthy for you given your low weight.

hmm i was thinking the same thing but that must have been a typo i think she meant 197???
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    200 is a safe number to go by maybe even 250 when looking at your height and weight. On a side note assuming this is not a typo 97 lbs is not healthy at all for a 5'6 woman. If I were you I would up the calories for a while please! I don't know you but I care and that weight/height ratio is bad. Go have a bowl of ice cream right now!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    At your height and weight, I really hope you are trying to gain weight.
  • rpapesr
    rpapesr Posts: 49 Member
    The only sure way to know is to purchase a heart rate monitor that will keep track of calories burned. I have the same dilemma.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member

hmm i was thinking the same thing but that must have been a typo i think she meant 197???

I hope so too!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,293 Member
    What you need to do is get off this site which is just going to trigger your unhealthy obsession with exercise, food, calories, and numbers.

Get to a doctor, a school nurse, a hospital, a priest, or an emergency Help Line for eating disorders - quickly. You are going to kill yourself.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    What you need to do is get off this site which is just going to trigger your unhealthy obsession with exercise, food, calories, and numbers.

Get to a doctor, a school nurse, a hospital, a priest, or an emergency Help Line for eating disorders - quickly. You are going to kill yourself.

Quoted, because I saw one of your other threads. 97 is not a typo, unless you've made that mistake several times.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get help immediately.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    I agree with all the above post, if this is not a typo you are danerously under weight and could be doing real harm to yourself. PLEASE RUN DO NOT WALK TO THE DOCTOR!!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    I am going to guess that the ones saying 200 are not taking the incline into account. Also, there is a difference calorie burn wise from walking and running, so you have to make sure you are using the right kind of calculator. (Walking is more efficient below 3.5mph, but burns more than running once you get above that).
    Also keep in mind that holding onto the rails reduces cals burned...even more so if your one of the folks I see leaning heavily on the rails/front of the machine.

I get a range of 180 (flat) to 354 (10% incline) for covering 3.1miles in 0:60:00 at 97lbs.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Your mileage may vary.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    97 is not a mistake.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/information-referral-helpline

Call our toll free, confidential Helpline at 1-800-931-2237
    Click to chat with a Helpline volunteer

We are here every Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (EST). Our helpline volunteers will be there to offer support and guidance with compassion and understanding.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member

I hope so too!

From another of her posts:
    Hi I am a 21 yr old female and I am 5 foot 6. Two weeks ago I weighed myself and I weighed 97 lbs. today I weighed myself and I weigh 100 even. I keep up with my 1200 calories and if I go over I make sure to burn it off. I have been doing so and have been successfully lost weight but now I am wondering as to how I have gained? I drink a lot of fluids water and vitamin water and diet sodas. I weigh myself only on Sunday mornings so why was this Sunday different? Did I really gain or is it water weight?

Please, please, please see a professional.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • brianalynnx
    brianalynnx Posts: 25 Member
    After realizing that 97 is not a typo, oh hunny! As everyone else in the thread, am pretty concerned by that number. In one of your previous posts you said you were "Seeking help", but seeing as how you have lost 2-3 more lbs IN A WEEK and are still running on the tredmill for an hour a day.... I would suggest you seek additional help as whatever "help" you have enlisted doesn't seem to be working. You clearly have a very serious problem (not just because your weight is low for your height, but because you seem to think you should still be concerned with counting calories from exercise and food posting in the WEIGHT LOSS section of the forum).