Seriously.

Options

Replies

• cscchaplin
    Options
    Eat One!! Its about 151 cal. for a lean 3oz patty. Put some pico on it and skip the bun!
    So, now I really want a burger.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Just curious, when I get to the store, buy all the food, bring it home, put it up...who's gonna cook it for me?
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    mmm pizza
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think the main point was to just think about what we are spending our money on food-wise and to be mindful of what we are eating. So many people say they cannot afford to eat healthy foods - but comparatively, in whatever format, you CAN afford to eat healthy so don't use that as an excuse.

I am ready for a whopper though. <<teasing smile>> Anyway, we get so nitpicky and controversial and just ready to rumble in these posts that we lose sight of what matters. Working together to find easier (and cheaper) ways to eat healthy. :smile:
  • savingtennessee
    Options
    I'd rather pay $5 for some ground turkey I can put to at least 2 meals.

Remember: You can cook pinto beans, mash them into a paste and then grill them like a burger. Frozen vegetables turn out to be life savers too.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I'll still take the pizza over anything else. Unless it's fried chicken. In that case, I'll have both.

Restaurant near my house does a fried chicken finger pizza. It's as good as it sounds.

O
    M
    G
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    I hate this argument. It is ALWAYS cheaper to eat bad food. You can buy mac and cheese with hot dogs and feed 5 people for about $10. You can't feed that many people with healthy food for $5. It costs less to make a box of processed food than it does to plant, grow and harvest natural food. It's simple economics. However, that is not always the right choice. Save now, pay later. Pay now, save in the long run.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Those are not Alaska prices.

No doubt sauerkraut.....would be lucky to walk out with a third of that. :noway:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I hate this argument. It is ALWAYS cheaper to eat bad food. You can buy mac and cheese with hot dogs and feed 5 people for about $10. You can't feed that many people with healthy food for $5. It costs less to make a box of processed food than it does to plant, grow and harvest natural food. It's simple economics. However, that is not always the right choice. Save now, pay later. Pay now, save in the long run.

I disagree. That's why I posted about making 4 value meals for about $8. When you make equal comparisons, it's always cheaper to eat home-prepared foods. It has nothing to do with the nutritional value.

In the value meal example, I can get a better grade of meat, whole wheat buns if I want, a drink other than soda ... I can make sweet potato fries if I want .. I can do a ton of things to make a meal of burgers "healthier" .. and significantly cheaper.

So in the Value meal example, it's far more expensive to eat "bad" food.

I cook fairly well, and I can feed a family of 4 with 2 leftover portions for about $10 ... without resorting to mac and cheese.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    fast food > supporting walmart. always.

side note: what did dominoes do to their new pizza to make it so damn good?! garlic salt on the crust or somethin? yummmmmmm
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The moral of this ...move where food is cheaper?! lol
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Years ago.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    homestar_seriously.jpg
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just saying, I have been cooking for a long time, more years than most of you have been alive.
    The past two years, I have saved an enormous amount of money cooking and eating healthier, not buying junk food and seldom eating out.
    I will never be convinced that it is cheaper to eat junk. The pictures on this topic may be outdated and low, but that goes for the fast food as well. Beverages alone are outrageously priced.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the prices in the mid west are higher too. But I am happy that I can usually get lean ground turkey more reasonable than ground beef, especially if you go to Sam's club. There is definitely more effort involved in buying fresh whole foods but the payoff is worth it !!!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

side note: what did dominoes do to their new pizza to make it so damn good?! garlic salt on the crust or somethin? yummmmmmm

Right?! I was just thinking this the other day when I ordered a pie and I don't usually even LIKE dominoes!
  • skullshank
    Options

Right?! I was just thinking this the other day when I ordered a pie and I don't usually even LIKE dominoes!

you USED to not like em...now you crave it!
    omg me too!

SERIOUSLY.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    AB0Fkyc.gif
  • skullshank
    Options
    AB0Fkyc.gif

tumblr_miek2hyx2e1s5rnvbo1_400.gif
  • cclarocque
    Options
    I agree the prices are way off....pricing similar products and defaulting to the sale option if available I got $45-50 bucks for each of these compared to what I would pay. Now maybe these are all at the best price of the year...strawberries are $1.88 this week (stock up!) but cashews are 7.99 and beef is fairly high right now...chances of everything being the loss leader of the week is nil since that would be bad business for a store.

I think the alarming thing is the in the couple years since these were made the prices have got up on all these items but the fast food prices have not to the same extent...yes there are "speciality" meal deals for 8+ bucks but the dollar/value menu is alive and well. Also these groceries also assume people have basic ingredients at home and time/ability to cook them. Also as mention above most people given a 20 budget are buying what is cheap in grocery stores, ramen, frozen pizza, white pasta & breads, processed sauces, etc..... which is barely better then the fast food. Yes you can find great deals if you look hard enough but that is the point....the healthy stuff is not the easy stuff and manufacturers spend millions trying to convince people their stuff is healthy and further subsidizing it with coupons.