TDEE -20% Macros-How Important?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've lost around 35 pounds and am 25ish pounds from my goal weight. My weight loss has completely stalled for about 6 months now (ah! I can't believe it's been so long!).

I started lifting and loved it, but 1400-some calories were just not cutting it for me, so I started looking into TDEE. Eating 1700+ calories a day is a whole new world, but I'm a little confused about macros.

IIFYM recommends 175 grams a 30% carbs/30% fat/40% protein breakdown, which works out to... 175 grams of protein a day! On a great day, I can hit 110 grams, and that's with vegan protein powder. I eat fish and eggs, but almost no dairy and zero meat--I haven't touched meat for more than 13 years, so eating it again isn't an option, although I'd love the extra protein.

So, wise MFPers, how closely do I need to follow those macros? Have any of you been successful bucking the macro recommendations? If so, what percentages did you use instead? If I can't hit the protein recommendations with TDEE am I doomed to fail? Please say no, I love eating more!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd go for BW in kg x 2 for protein, 0.5-1g of fat per kg of BW and whatever is left over make up with carbs. I've been following that for nearly a year and it's working well. In fact i have actually upped my proteins and fats cos it suits me better now
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In for the info! Some calculators have me at 140g protein per day and I have to work to hit 70-90g. I'm similar to you – a meat minimiser, so I don't eat much red meat and try to get by on eggs, nuts, fish and tofu. Not that keen on drinking protein powders.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't often eat red meat but i do like the odd tin of corned beef lately lol. I do eat fish, Quorn, eggs and lots of dairy though. So i like to use protein powders/bars to get my protein up and noticed a difference.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I drink ON whey protein shake with almond milk for snack 1 and I eat Fage 2% greek yougurt with a protein bar for snack 2. That's 75 grams of protein right there.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Its been a month almost for me on TDEE -15%. I find that i love the calories (i needed more) but balancing the macros has been harder. I tried to do 150grams of protein (my body weight x 1g per). but have since lowered it as i was having a harder time eating less carbs. Its a real balancing act.. I m still working out the kinks.. good luck...;)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you goal is to lose fat, the stuff I have read would suggest only 20% fat. I shoot for 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat. Otherwise I know Tom Venuto suggests 30% protein, 50% carb, and 20% fat. If you must play with these, leave the fat at 20% and raise and lower your carbs as needed... Good luck...
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think 0.8 g protein per pound of lean body mass is the lowest recommendation you will find for someone who is lifting weight.

I'm not vegan so I can't make good recommendations on how to get your protein calories in. I basically eat 2 scoops prot powder (30g per scoop), 8 oz chicken, 8 oz cottage cheese most every day.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Quark is great, you can mix it with anything. If you eat it on its own, it's a bit tart and a little bit cream cheese-y but it's not as bad as cottage cheese and it has much better macros than Greek yoghurt. Mixed with protein powder it has all the protein of a complete meal with almost zero fat and zero carbs... or a little bit of honey or a nut butter of some kind makes it a heck of a lot more palatable.

Generally you're looking at around 0.8g to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass to maintain. The extra protein is not just to build mass, but a "protein insurance". It's fairly important to get a good balance of macros, but you don't need to hit it to the gram. I'm frequently about 20g short of my 160g goal, but that's fine.

I would say to slightly overshoot your usual 110g, if possible. 130-ish should be more than enough, and 20 extra grams isn't a huge deal.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Such quick feedback! Thanks all! I love the protein feedback from veggies and meat eaters alike.

To be honest, I don't think I could keep the balanced diet (fruit! grains! veggies! und, uh, definitely sweets!) I enjoy and that makes me feel good and eat more than 110 grams of protein a day.

If I can't make that much protein happen, am I better off going with MFP calorie model rather than trying TDEE?
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I can't make that much protein happen, am I better off going with MFP calorie model rather than trying TDEE?

IMHO use the calorie goal from whatever TDEE calculator you used but set the macro percentages however you like. The percentages are just suggestions so feel free to adjust them. They won't make or break anything. If you are eating like 5% protein then sure, thats a problem. We aren't talking about that here though.

An added suggestion, since all of this is based on estimates anyway, if you aren't losing after about a month trying the TDEE method, just move the daily calories down by 100 and see if that helps. No need to jump to a different calculator or anything. Just make small adjustments over time.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would recommend having a read of this thread... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

It explains why macro ratios are unimportant quite well.

It's a little bit more complex, but I've been using it for years to good effect. I plan how to get in my protein first, then most of my other calories tend to come from carbs I enjoy. Fats tend to be incidental (fish, cheese, eggs, etc.) to protein intake, so I don't worry about that.

By the time you've worked out all your calculations, you should have more than enough carb grams to spare to get in the carbs you enjoy eating and still have a calorie deficit. I would even go as far as saying a 20% deficit is too much for a recomp, which is what I suspect your goal is... since that's my goal and I'm about the same amount of lbs away from my "goal weight" as you.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You guys have convinced me! Thank you so much for the links and advice. I'm going to stick with the TDEE -20% plan for a month, getting as much protein as I can, but not killing myself to hit the 175 gram goal. I'll report back in 30 days!