I am tired of being the girl with the pretty face.

2»

Replies

• bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm sure she meant being "the girl with the pretty fac." as in the snarky thing people like to say to the overweight so they can a) be mean without sounding mean or 2) express to you their regret that you are wasting that pretty face by being overweight. It's just more subtle than telling someone they "have a voice for radio."

Or maybe they just mean she has a pretty face. If your weight causes you to have low self esteem, that could cause you to think genuine compliments are backhanded.
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    friend request sent your way girl...anyone else please feel free to add me :)
  • I'm sure she meant being "the girl with the pretty fac." as in the snarky thing people like to say to the overweight so they can a) be mean without sounding mean or 2) express to you their regret that you are wasting that pretty face by being overweight. It's just more subtle than telling someone they "have a voice for radio."

Or maybe they just mean she has a pretty face. If your weight causes you to have low self esteem, that could cause you to think genuine compliments are backhanded.

Oh, I'm not saying they don't actually think she has a pretty face at all. Obviously she does. But it's a very common tactic. If they don't mean it as a backhanded compliment, they should step up their social awareness or just telling her she's preety or beautiful, without the qualifier.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Your topic line hit home for me.... I was always the sister that was told "you have a pretty face, or nice skin or nice hair". All compliments from the neck up! My sisters were told they were beautiful or gorgeous. I was always the overweight one and I totally get it.

I am so excited for you to start this journey. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! I am totally new to this website and I wish I had had this 3 years ago when I started my journey but glad to be here now.

Please friend me if you like.. I would love to follow and support your progress!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I'm sure she meant being "the girl with the pretty fac." as in the snarky thing people like to say to the overweight so they can a) be mean without sounding mean or 2) express to you their regret that you are wasting that pretty face by being overweight. It's just more subtle than telling someone they "have a voice for radio."

If someone tells you that you are pretty, smile and say, "thanks," and let your heart warm up for a minute.

Someone else mentioned "...compliments from the neck up." I would hope that more people are seeing your pretty face instead of ogling your body. :laugh:

Seriously, try to learn to accept positive statements from others. Maybe that will help you accept yourself for who you are. It's ok to be pleased with having been born with a pretty face or nice skin/hair. I have psoriasis, so be thankful instead of paranoid. :flowerforyou:

I couldn't count how many times someone has told me that I have pretty eyes. Because my baby blues ARE beautiful. I am pleased to have been born with pretty eyes, even if my skin isn't so pretty.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Couple things to remember on your journey
    1. You will inevitably screw up, don't wait until the next day to restart, start right after the screw up.
    2. You can exercise all you like but if you consume more than you burn those pretty muscles will still be covered up, so make sure you have the calorie deficit and an eating plan to go along with your exercising one.
    3. Even if once in a while you have a day where you eat enough calories only to maintain you still did alright and are making progress, slow but steady is going to be your best bet.

Good Luck to you!!