any night shift newbies besides me?

Options
Hi everyone, i was introduced to the site about 2 weeks ago by a co-worker, who has since disappeared...sigh...may be she is sleeping!
Anyway, I am a 12 hour 3-4x week night shift worker, any tips for those of use who mess with our circadian rhythm?
So far, just tracking what I am eating and looking at portion size I am down 5 lbs in 2 weeks. YEAH!!!

Replies

• DigitalRain
    Options
    I am. I also do 12hour shifts at night usually 3x a week. Its the reason I gained weight, lol. I usually come home in the morning workout eat a small breakfast workout and then sleep.
  • karilampman
    Options
    Like you, I am a night shifter too. It seems like I always gain weight when I go to nights, so was really concerned about it this time. Mine was really a mind set change. I still eat the same meals, but just at different times. When I wake up at 4pm, that is my breakfast time. Etc.. If you use your My Fitness Pal on your phone, just make sure that if you eat after midnight, you manually switch the days back so that you track your daily intakes, not a normal 24 hour day. I hope this helps and makes sense as well. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I am a 3rd shifter. 10pm to 6am sometimes 8am. I workout when I get out and then go home for breakfast and bed. I just eat as lightly as I can in the morning. I am bound and determined to lose this weight.
  • coroner66
    coroner66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but I make every effort to get up and work out. I just know I have to do it and it is paying off. I work swing shift, 9 hour shift, one week 5 days other 4 times a week. exhausting, but I still get up up. Just get up, even though you are tired. That is when you exercises. I have noticed that I am not as tired as I used to be during my shift, due to the exercising in the morning. Keep focus. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    People at work think I am a little crazy for working out after work. I does make me feel better. I know I have a very physical job but going and doing the water aerobics is what helps me feel better. Takes the stress off of my joints. Then I go sit in the hot tub! Good for the muscles. Cause at the end of the night.....my legs and back HURT!

I still do the normal intake chart. I just put down what I have at work as a snack. That's what it is for me. I have only 15 minutes per break and trying to heat a meal and inhale it just does not work for me. I bring in yogurt, fresh fruit, veggies or sometimes a cereal bar. Not all at the same time but you know what I mean. Had a yogurt at 1am and pineapple chunks at 3:30am this morning. When I work out I bring in a cereal bar for after so I am not so hungry when I get home and try to eat everything that isn't nailed down. Normal breakfast. Normal dinner and a larger "snack" before work which is kinda my lunch.:bigsmile:
  • robinmac
    robinmac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the site and to trying to lose weight. I've never dieted nor been on a regular exercise routine. I'm trying to get myself into some kind of a schedule with food and exercise so any help would be great!

I've been an RN two years now. I was working swing shift the first 1 1/4 yr and all the switching back and forth in the same week was killing me! I switched jobs in march and am now on strictly night shift. I work 7p-7a. Seems like usually around MN-0200 we have time to eat so that's what I try to do. I'm not a coffee drinker and I've been laying off soda and I don't like to do the candy. I've gained more weight though now that I'm on a regular shift all the time??!!

I can't seem to sleep much my first night on but I try. I drink a lot of iced tea and not enough water. When I get off work I come home, let out the dog & feed her. I try to get to sleep by 1000 and end up sleeping til I have to get up and go back again. I know I need a routine-any suggestions?? I find that lots of the time I really only eat that one time at work. Maybe a quick snack of some kind of crap at some point. I'm just tired all the time!

Now I'm deciding to try to do something about this weight thing and am up for all the suggestions I can get!

Thanks everybody!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There is an official night shift thread for all us night shifters. Do a search for official night shift thread.
  • AsMama
    Options
    I worked night shift for 8 years. I blamed the night shift for a lot of my weight problems. Funny thing is, I just worked 8 hour days for the last 10 months and gained weight. Go figure. I am starting night shift again tomorrow. I hope I can keep my momentum and stick to my plan. I have tried every diet and website, but this is the first time I am chatting with others. I think being held accountable will help.
  • okinawa51
    okinawa51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN, have been working 12 hour night shifts for 71/2 years now.....finally found a routine that works for me weight wise, although I guess I'll never get used to sleeping during the day. "Lunchtime" at work is usually around 1 am, then no more food for the rest of the shift, only green tea. I get home and take care of the pets, usually in bed by 8:45 am to awaken by 2 pm. Then breakfast. Any other RN's out there that have hints for sleeping during the day?