I just want other people's opinions.

Options
I am eighteen years old, 5'6" and my weight fluctuates from 115-120. I want to maintain this weight.

I am not a perfect "clean eater." I eat processed foods, treats, sugary stuff. I have never gone over my allotted calories though, and if I do, I burn it off. I put myself at 1650.

I do not count my macros because I don't know what they are or how to do it. I will learn soon.

My exercising consists of walking at a brisk pace on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. I use the elliptical trainer for another 20 minutes. Sometimes I'll jog for 5 minutes. And I do vigorous step-ups on a chair for 5 minutes straight. I strength train about 2 times a week for 45 minutes except this week and probably next week, I won't be.

I don't exactly know how many calories to allow myself to maintain my weight. I've done a lot of experimenting and calorie cycling because I don't know where to keep it.

Regarding my food, I eat stuff like peanut butter on a daily basis, which is high in fats. I do eat either fruits or vegetables every single day though, and I get protein everyday.

Thanks if you read and have any sort of opinion!

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    don't sound like you need exercise so just eat mega on days you do.....
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, maybe exercising is a habit I need to break. /:
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Maybe just add more lean protein and low glycemic carbs to provide you with more fuel for your activities.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend not exercising. Sounds like you're doing perfect.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating a whole lot better than I did at eighteen. Exercise is good for more than just burning calories. You don't need to fit in a category, follow a diet, or count calories (but it can be helpful and informative for you if you do) if you are healthy and happy with your body. Keep being conscientious of what you eat and how it affects you and make adjustments if you find something that works better for you. You may never have a weight problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't get sucked into thinking food is good or bad - it's just food.

It doesn't have to be complicated, eat a balanced diet with a good variety of foods that you enjoy eating.

Do exercise that you enjoy and compliments your fitness goals. Between the ages of 18 & 23 is a great time to push your aerobic fitness and strength to new heights. It does seem that people that set a "high water mark" find it easier in later life to regain those levels after periods when exercise has to take a back seat.

If you are maintaining your weight within a 5lb range it would seem you have indeed found your maintenance calories. Whether you eat in a regular daily pattern or have up and down days to suit lifestyle is just personal choice.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! My mindset is definitely a work in progress, but I'm getting there. :) I love all the answers.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like organic food. I think that, over time the bad stuff in not organic food just weighed me down. With eating the same and exercising so much less due to fatigue- it contributed to weight gain, fat gain. My opinion is that good food is organic, non gmo. I wish you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a habit to keep for life--it's not just for weight loss, but for cardiovascular health, bone density, mood stability, etc., depending on what kind of exercise you do.

I'd say try aiming for ~2000 calories, perhaps gradually upping to that, while keeping up what you've been doing. 1650 for a 5'6" eighteen year old may be more of a hindrance than a benefit; you're still developing, specifically your brain, so calories aren't things you want to shave off (particularly when you're on the lower end of the BMI).

I'd say eat how you've been eating, exercise, try to incorporate more protein if you can (if you do pay attention to any macro, as it will help with your 2x a week strength training as well as overall LBM "maintenance"), and try gradually upping your calories. Maybe 1750 for one week, 1850 for another, etc., until you hit ~2000 or so. Give yourself several weeks at that amount. See how your weight reacts (AFTER several weeks).

(I also say "2000" not only for the "standard" calorie allotment for women, but because that's probably very close to your TDEE, if still not lower. Look up TDEE calculators to help you see a calorie limit to try out.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend not exercising. Sounds like you're doing perfect.

why would you not exercise? exercise is exceedingly important in maintenance.

OP...if you're fluctuation between 115 - 120 you are maintaining. I don't eat exactly the same calories every day...I've gotten pretty good about eating intuitively and knowing when I need fuel...I eat far more on heavy workout days than I do on rest days and somewhere in between on regular workout days...basically I'm anywhere from around 2500 - 3000 calories depending...I can exceed that even on a long ride Sunday. In that RE, you're just going to have to find what works best for you...I have an easier time in maintenance calorie cycling with my actual activity than I do eating a flat TDEE...but when I was losing it was just easier to keep my exercise regular and eat a flat TDEE.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're definitely going to have to eat more, even though you are rather thin you have the benefits of being young and active. It'll be easier for you to add in more vegetables, fruits, and proteins - basically just more whole foods - if you can just add them, instead of having to cut out the processed, sugary deliciousness that you love (just don't eat more of them!)

It's important, if you want to use TDEE to determine your maintenance level, to not use numbers for adults or those with a high BMI. I would multiply your BMR by 1.6 and 1.8 and aim for a calorie level between those two. It'll probably be a lot more than you're eating now, so feel free to gradually increase your calorie intake.

There are lots of posts on macronutrient ratios, but the general consensus is that a good mix of the three is optimal for the average person (I aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so I can gain muscle from strength training.)