Yet Another Question on that famous TDEE

I have seen this term being metioned so many times on this forum so I wanted to give it a try.

Here is my question: are all exercise created equal when it comes to activity level? I tried several sites and they all ask the activity level. I do 3-5 times but this includes 3 times of lifing, 2 cardio/hiit, and one yoga/ballet, plus plenty of casual walking. Would this combo be considered as the same "moderate exercise" as those who run 5 times a week or doing yoga 4 times a week?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    you can do the arithmetic to figure out what the TDEE formula assumes you will be burning calorie wise.

Just compare your sedentary number to TDEE amount that takes the number of days you workout.

For instance, I'm using a TDEE that assumes that I workout 3-5 days a week. For me the numbers work out to 1500 total net calories from exercise a week. from there i just keep track of calorie burn from my HRM.

personally i dont count things like casual walking, yoga or anything else where my heart rate isnt consistently above 135 BPM as exercise. i barely count lifting because those numbers are skewed given that I'm probably only doing 25-30 minutes of actual work
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    you can do the arithmetic to figure out what the TDEE formula assumes you will be burning calorie wise.

Just compare your sedentary number to TDEE amount that takes the number of days you workout.

For instance, I'm using a TDEE that assumes that I workout 3-5 days a week. For me the numbers work out to 1500 total net calories from exercise a week. from there i just keep track of calorie burn from my HRM.

personally i dont count things like casual walking, yoga or anything else where my heart rate isnt consistently above 135 BPM as exercise. i barely count lifting because those numbers are skewed given that I'm probably only doing 25-30 minutes of actual work

umm...I am still confused then it looks like only 2 times of cardio should be counted towards my burn? If I lift heavy 3 times a week, I still can't use "moderate exercise" catagory?

My casual walking usually means 3-4 miles at 4 mph. :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Reading your post again, I think mine comes down to 1500 per week as well...but I only have time for 2 cardio sessions...sigh...
  • I have seen this term being metioned so many times on this forum so I wanted to give it a try.

Here is my question: are all exercise created equal when it comes to activity level? I tried several sites and they all ask the activity level. I do 3-5 times but this includes 3 times of lifing, 2 cardio/hiit, and one yoga/ballet, plus plenty of casual walking. Would this combo be considered as the same "moderate exercise" as those who run 5 times a week or doing yoga 4 times a week?

:flowerforyou:

No they are not equal as they all have vary degrees of intensity, length, and time. They are estimates, and usually poor ones at that. Its like estimating at calories without looking at the nutritional labels of the actual products that you actually use. I don't give myself a factor for "daily life activities". Thats a BS excuse people use to give themselves credit to eat more. Count what you can numerically quantify via a HRM or other device such as the calculation on a treadmill or calculate through walking. And don't eat it all back.