Low carb and PCOS

Options
Hello, just curious and wondering of those who have PCOS and are doing low carb, what type of daily menu are you using and are you seeing results of weight loss as well as decrease in PCOS symptoms. Thanks :)

Replies

• princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to look at my profile, diary and blog! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/princessofredrock

Any questions just pm me!

Chelle
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm following a lower carb diet and have PCOS as well as newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes from it. I'm allowed up to 45 gm carbs per meal. If I want to snack, I have to "save" those carbs from a meal to work it in.

The goal is to have a steady amount of carbs spread through the day, not a 100gm at one meal and call it a day. Having protein with your carbs helps slow absorption too. Having more protein and fiber in your diet helps combat the lower carbs and feeling hungry.

Some go to items for me are eggs, cheese sticks, greek yogurt, Mission carb control tortilla wraps, Skinny Cow treats, lots of green beans, cauliflower and other non-starchy veggies, berries, oatmeal, chicken and fish.
  • Godblessedmom
    Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sharon. Try to have a steady amount of carbs. I have lost weight this way as well. My symptoms are better, but not sure if it is specifically from the carbs or the loss of weight. Best advice other than diet and exercise: a really good physician to prescribe the right combination of medications to allow you to lose weight and control your symptoms.

Keep up the hard work!!! It will help in the long run!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my best results have been with portion control and emphasizing protein and fat with meals but not limiting carbs
  • Bellabooksa
    Bellabooksa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I have been doing low carb, but not as restrictive as Atkins as I only lost 10 pounds with 22 carbs a day and it took me 3 months. I know low carb is what most with PCOS say helps to diminish a great deal of the symptoms as well as help with weight loss, but I think the 22 carb a day limit was not enough for me so I try to stay under 100 carbs a day and around 1200 calories a day, but so hard to even get up to my 1200 calorie a day goal....thus what I guess I'm saying is that what I'm doing does not seem to be giving me the results I have been hoping. I currently do the Taebo boot camp with resistance bands daily for 55 minutes plus any extra if I have time. I ordered the Insanity 60 day workout dvd set to give me more of a challenging workout, lol. But I know I need to get this food plan down so I can feel good again. I currently take 2300 mg of Metformin. The doctor I had relocated to another state, and the area I live in does not seem to have any doctors really knowledgeable of PCOS...or it appears they don't seem to be or are just plain not willing to. Any help from you all is very much appreciated! Please feel free to add me to your friends :) Thanks again!