**RECALL** HERES ANOTHER ONE !!

eriny
eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will ask an expert panel later this week whether or not the diet drug Meridia should be banned due to suspected heart risks.

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Is that the over the counter that gives you the poops?

I quit taking diet pills when they took phentermine off the market. You always gain the weight back anyway. It's kind of a lose lose.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    No - I'm on Meridia... It's a drug that works on the satiety center of your brain, helps in signaling when you are full. It doesn't speed you up, nor does it flush out fat.

It's recalled because it can cause heart issues in people with pre-existing conditions.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Just to clarify - I'm on this because my endocrinologist thought it may be beneficial to me. He was going to put me on the fat blocker, but I said no thanks to oily farts, and poops. I rather deal with something that doesn't speed me up or block the healthy fats I'm trying to ingest (following a very loose Paleo diet). Short term I wanted to learn how to eat proper portions.

I'm down from 214 to 180. I think I did really well, and I've been self weaning from the drug... not because I'm afraid of it - I have a healthy heart, but because I don't beliee drugs should be taken long term unless you have a pre-existing condition.

It should be mentioned that I have a family history of diabetes and fighting IR. I'm not fat because I'm lazy or because I over-eat. I workout 5 days a week, crossfit, personal training heavy lifting.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Meridia is a weird drug. I was on it for a short time when I was at my heaviest. What it did was killed ALL interest in food. It didn't just kill my appetite. I had absolutely zero interest in eating. It basically made me chemically anorexic. I stopped taking it because I honestly had a very difficult time eating anything at all when on this medication. I swear I probably could have gone a week without eating, and not have cared less.

Xenical is the one that makes you crap your pants. LMAO!
  • XFitMojoMom
    I agree - I find when I don't do an insane workout... I don't need to eat... the whole eat to fuel your body theory applied. I just upped my calories recently and I'm still having trouble meeting my caloric needs despite these intense workouts - that is why I'm self weaning. But yeah, if I wasn't working out - no interest and could go days without thinking - "oh *kitten*,need to eat!!!"
This discussion has been closed.