Subtly encourage a friend

Options
Hey everyone, I have been on a successful regiment for a while now, and this site has been helpful. I am asking a particularly interesting question. My buddy is getting married. His three groomsmen (myself included) are surprising him for his bachelor party. He lives in St Louis and he is expecting a typical night out in St Louis. We have all pitched in and bought our plane tickets and his as well and will be taking him to Phoenix at no cost to him for a good guy's trip with some sun and golf. We also want to go on a pretty strenuous hike while we are there. 1800 feet in elevation gain in the final mile of the hike. The groom really loves to hike and would absolutely love this, but he is out of shape. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can probe him along into getting his cardio in consistently between now and May without spoiling the surprise?? I can't really just have him be my workout buddy as we live in different cities, it's going to need more tact than that! Thanks!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    maybe set up a get in shape so you both can be extra hot for his wedding challenge :)

or maybe set up another event to train for together as a cover?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Not going to happen OP, your friend has to make the decision himself. My buddy has been saying he wants to get back in shape you years, over the last year he has seen my success, and being my gym buddy he knows exactly what he needs to do to emulate it, still, he hasn't lost an ounce. Take him on this hike, he'll push himself up the mountain, and maybe when he does he'll find the motivation to do something. Outside of that, I'm afraid you just cant force a horse to drink.

Rigger
  • Willandrewmusic
    Options
    Haha, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure if we drug him to the trail he would, like you said, push himself to the top, but it's not going to be pretty.
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Each of us is the master of our own ships!!! It's a personal decision. Encourage him to do something to get in shape for his wedding.
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    Does the bride to be like to hike? Maybe you can let her in on the plan and she can get the groom out for a hike or two, if he remembers how much he loves it then he may get his butt out there. You could also start a facebook group under the guise of wanting to see as many summits as possible in person & in photos, if people get competitive they might try to out hike each other or get to the most amazing views.... he may or may not bite but I'm sure that you & others would enjoy the challenge :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    maybe set up a get in shape so you both can be extra hot for his wedding challenge :)

or maybe set up another event to train for together as a cover?

:drinker: