Slower weight loss and exercise?

Options
I started using MFP regularly about 5 weeks ago. The first week I didn't work-out really at all, just stayed below my calories, so I've been working out regularly for about 4 weeks now. I have a treadmill so I walk/run on that, and I also use a variety of work-out videos (tons of the fitness blender ones, yoga, jillian michaels, etc.). I get bored so I tend to change it up a lot, and do 45-60 minutes a day. Anyway, I have about 50 pounds to lose but my weight loss has been really slow so far. One week I did randomly lose 4 pounds, but other than that it's always less than a pound and one week I even gained. I'm always under my calories for the day, and I eat back half of my exercise calories (since I don't use a HRM). I'm sore a lot, especially since I started doing the fitness blender ones. I definitely have seen a difference in my clothes and have dropped a pants size, but it's frustrating not seeing the loss on the scale. Is this because of all the exercising? Will my body eventually get used to it and the weight start coming off?

Replies

• Helenov
    Options
    It sounds like it's coming off. If you are seeing results in your measurements, then skip the scale. Sounds backwards, I know, but you may be putting on muscle, which takes up less space - that's why your measurements are going down and the scale is going slowly. The slower you lose, the more likely it is to stay off, so losing slow and steady is not a bad thing!!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria - losing slow and steady is not a bad thing but it can be frustrating. In reality you should be able to lose 2 lbs a week "easily". Diet is usually the biggest part of the equation. Here are some tips:

1. Look where you are getting your calories from and combos eg. Carbs and Caffeine tend to switch on fat storage.
    2. What foods are you sensitive to: There are some foods I know if I eat that seems to convert straight to weight - bread and milk are two of the worst for me.
    3. If it is not working do something different - increased intensity is probably not a good idea (if you are already in some pain)
    4. Break body patternd - If you are eating 5 small meals a day try "2 or 3 square meals a day" for a week and vice versa.
    5. Very important: Make sure you are getting enough sleep
    6. Fasting (take the training wheels off your body for maintaining insulin) try extending fasting in the morning or even 24 hours

All I am suggesting is that what you are currently doing is not getting the result you want so try something different - mix it up a little. You will not lose weight every week / day and yes sometimes there will be a gain in weight that is just life. Sounds strange but try to make sure that you have some fat in the diet as well as protein you do not want to burn valuable muscle.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    How does sleep play in to weight loss? I only get a solid 5 hours or so and then spend the rest of my early morning being woken up by small children. I'm pretty much tired all the time.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How does sleep play in to weight loss? I only get a solid 5 hours or so and then spend the rest of my early morning being woken up by small children. I'm pretty much tired all the time.

Sleep is when your body repairs itself. For example, muscles grow by getting tiny tears in them when you work them, then repairing them stronger while you rest. A solid night's sleep also means that you put more effort into your workouts and burn more calories. Also, you know how you feel sluggish when you haven't been getting enough sleep? You really are slowing down your basic functions as your body tries to conserve energy. Finally, lack of sleep releases stress hormones, like cortisol, that have been associated with storing extra fat, especially around the midsection.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP regularly about 5 weeks ago. The first week I didn't work-out really at all, just stayed below my calories, so I've been working out regularly for about 4 weeks now. I have a treadmill so I walk/run on that, and I also use a variety of work-out videos (tons of the fitness blender ones, yoga, jillian michaels, etc.). I get bored so I tend to change it up a lot, and do 45-60 minutes a day. Anyway, I have about 50 pounds to lose but my weight loss has been really slow so far. One week I did randomly lose 4 pounds, but other than that it's always less than a pound and one week I even gained. I'm always under my calories for the day, and I eat back half of my exercise calories (since I don't use a HRM). I'm sore a lot, especially since I started doing the fitness blender ones. I definitely have seen a difference in my clothes and have dropped a pants size, but it's frustrating not seeing the loss on the scale. Is this because of all the exercising? Will my body eventually get used to it and the weight start coming off?

so dropping a pants size isnt good enough progress?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's coming off. If you are seeing results in your measurements, then skip the scale. Sounds backwards, I know, but you may be putting on muscle, which takes up less space - that's why your measurements are going down and the scale is going slowly. The slower you lose, the more likely it is to stay off, so losing slow and steady is not a bad thing!!

It's probably not muscle. There may be some noob gains, but at 50 lbs to lose those gains shouldn't stall the scale, or make it go up in 4 weeks. It's also exponentially harder for females to put on muscle compared to males, especially if OP is staying under their calorie goal putting them in an even bigger deficit.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why are you under your calories every day? Your calorie goals are for meeting, not staying under. At any rate, your weight loss seems to be progressing just fine. Are you weighing and using measuring cups?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

IMHO, it sounds like water retention to me.

When you add a workout regimine, or up the intensity of a current workout regimine your body WILL retain water for muscle repair. It can take a few weeks for some for this water retention to pass. If you can feel it in your clothes, and see it in measurements, this is most likely the cause of your slower weight loss right now if your diet is in check.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback!

I am happy to see the changes in how my clothes are fitting, so not to diminish that, but being 50+ pounds overweight it get frustrating to see only a .8 loss, or a .2 gain after a week of working out so hard and being so careful with my diet!

I do weigh all my food. I also measure/weigh all the ingredients that go into my meals and portion them out so I think I'm being pretty careful with my calories.

The reason i don't eat back ALL my calories is because someone suggested that I only eat back half of my exercise calories, since I don't have a HRM and don't know for sure how many I'm burning.

I should probably add that I'm breastfeeding a 1 year old, so I eat an additional 200 calories a day for that. For that reason I do want to lose slower, but I'm aiming for 1.5 pounds a week. Also I don't know if that makes it harder for me to lose weight or something.