Showering at the gym

Options
Okay, so I joined a gym yesterday and it's not been open long so everything is new and clean. The changing rooms and toilets are fine and I saw someone cleaning the showers yesterday so they must get used and are clearly kept clean. Yesterday I just used body spray before leaving and showered when I got home as I was going straight there after the gym. Tonight though I might be meeting a friend when he finishes work so I figured I might as well go to the gym for a couple of hours as it is in town and would be a lot quicker to meet him. The only thing is even if I smell fine from my body spray I don't want to meet him without showering because that would be gross! I don't actually have a problem with showering at the gym I just want to know where I could put my towel and underwear (I can leave the rest of my stuff in my locker but I'm not walking through the changing room naked D:) the showers have a sliding glass door and I was thinking of just hanging my towel and underwear over that but will it get wet?! Also, there is no curtain just a white bit in the middle of the glass.. Does that stop people from seeing you??

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Do what everyone else does at your gym.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I spent 5 years in the Navy on an aircraft carrier...I can tell give you a few tips about sharing showers lol.

My biggest thing is shower shoes! Cheap, $2 flip-flops from Walmart or the Dollar Store. I never barefoot it in the locker room...that is just nasty to me lol.

With your towel and underwear, I always just flipped mine over the shower rod on the boat. It might get a little wet, but won't get soaked.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I second buying some flip flops. I wouldn't walk with bare feet in a shower or locker area in a gym.

And why not shower there? Others do! :smile:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Totally get where you are coming from and this would bother me too. I am wondering if you can get some sort of waterproof / plastic type bag to put your towel and underwear in so they don' t get wet. There must be something like that, we can't be the only people who don't fancy swaggering through a changing room butt naked lol. Have to say I like the shower shoes idea too as you never know who is using the shower, don't fancy verrucas :noway:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As for the OP just use your powers of deduction as your question is not exactly at the quantum physics end of problem solving. If you cannot figure it out just follow another persons lead.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bring your robe and hang it up next to the shower.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do what everyone else does at your gym.

this!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in Germany so maybe things are different but here the towels hang up near the door to the shower area and once you're finished showering you grab your towel and strut your stuff back to your bag where you get dressed. Wearing the towel during the strut across the changing room is optional.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are there no towel hooks near the showers?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I caught athletes foot twice at the gym with sandals on.... I stopped showering there 10 years ago
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used to shower at the gym daily before work, now I have a puppy and go home to let her out once more before work so I shower at home again. Anyway, our gym has the shower, and then separate changing areas, a private little curtained area to get bras and underwear on, and then I went back to my locker to put shirt and pants on! The showers are meant to be used quickly since many people are in and out of there every day!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Shower shoes!!

And why do you need to bring your undies with you to the shower if you've got a towel wrapped around you?
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Shower shoes!!

And why do you need to bring your undies with you to the shower if you've got a towel wrapped around you?

She probably brings the undies for the same reason that I would, so that you don't have to be completely naked in front of strangers at any time lol. I would love to have the body and confidence to do something like that but it's never going to happen. If I could get fully dressed in the shower I would. Actually, even when I was young and slim I did didn't have the confidence lol
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    oh really. A lot of the old men don't seem to mind walking around naked to their locker from the shower

-_-
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Shower shoes!!

She probably brings the undies for the same reason that I would, so that you don't have to be completely naked in front of strangers at any time lol. I would love to have the body and confidence to do something like that but it's never going to happen. If I could get fully dressed in the shower I would. Actually, even when I was young and slim I did didn't have the confidence lol

I've actually seen women bring all their clothes into the shower and get dressed in there, when they had finished...surely this is bringing more attention to yourself? Yesterday at the gym there was a woman with her trainers in the shower...no idea why, she didn't have them on but on the shower floor??*** I second flip flops for the shower and maybe a shower cap but thats about all!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Shower shoes!!

Its possible to put on bra and undies with the towel on
    I do it everyday. 7 years of camp really helps your 'getting dressed in front of others without showing bits' skills
  • crimsonandclovers
    Options
    I couldn't imagine using gym showers, or any public showers. I wait until I get home! Maybe one day when I have a body to rag about but at the moment, no way in hell :P But if you're up for it, just do it! But as others said, shower shoes. definitely.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yeah, flip flops. You don't want Legionnaire's Disease.

Be lucky that no matter what you do, you don't have to deal with a men's locker room with the old men and their comfort levels.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Use a plastic bag to keep your clothing dry.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If it were me I wouldn't waste time with body spray. If you're gross and sweaty, you're gross and sweaty, why would you want to get your street clothes gross and sweaty too? If I workout, I shower. If not at the gym, then I go immediately home as do so (usually in my workout clothes). As for showering at the gym, there have already been a lot of good suggestions, I have nothing more to add.