strength training/off days

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies! It is hard for me to accept the whole rest concept…psychologically I feel like if I'm not moving I can't lose weight. I still have some mental hurdles to jump.

Definitely will look into HIIT. I've heard that it is really good for increasing afterburn, but would something like that disrupt the recovery process of the weight lifting?

well there's your problem exercise doesnt lead to weight loss- calorie deficits do.

So here- do these exercises on your days off- it will help.

Table push aways
    Fork Put downs.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Rest :happy:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT for my cardio, sometimes on weight days, sometimes by themselves. I do have one complete day of rest a week usually, about the only thing I do that day is walk the dog and maybe drink a couple of beers. I have problems not working out also, so I try to find fun things to do with friends on the days I don't go to the gym or a class.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yoga! The stretching parts feel really good. They feel better than rest :) I don't always do it long in total, but I love stretching out well on recovery days for whatever parts I've worked hard the day before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends really on your fitness goals. Maximizing strength and muscle gains requires a lot of rest...so you will find that people who are really trying to increase and maximize those things...they're really not going to do a whole lot outside lifting and resting.

I personally like to ride my bike, so I'll just go out for a nice ride for an hour or so at lunch...nothing too intense generally. Right now I'm gearing up for a 1/2 century and then a metric century so I'll be doing a bit more cardio in the coming weeks and only lifting a couple of times per week...but that'll really only be for about 12 weeks or so and then I'll be back to lifting 3x weekly and just getting out on my bike and tooling around a few days per week.