IIFYM and protein recommendation

Options
According to the IIFYM website, after using the calculator, it says to have 190 grams of protein a day. That seems like too much to me. I don't know, I'm not an expert. What do you guys think?
I'm 5'3", female, 190lbs, and I excercise 5 times a week with 30 min walking and 20 min of Wii Zumba for a total calorie burn of 330 daily. It says my calorie intake should be 1643 per day, even if I don't exercise.
It just seems like I would overdo my calorie limit with that much protein.
MFP has it at 60grams and 1200 calories.

Replies

• lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat 2200-2300 calories a day and average between 150-200g of protein daily.
    I don't know what IIFYM says for my protein, but the usual is 1 g per pound of lean tissue. At last check, I have 134 lbs of lean tissue.
    Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate?
    You should be eating at least this amount daily. And probably a little more, since you workout 5 days a week.
    Too much caloric deficit puts your body in starvation mode and you will lose muscle, as opposed to fat.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    That website is a good source of info, but, their protein intake is way off.

For NATURAL athletes / building muscle 0.6 - 0.8g per LB of body-weight. I'd go with 0.8 though.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thanks.