Never feel like i'm doing good enough

Options
I the past three weeks, since re-vamping my diet to get past a plateau that I was at for months, I've lost 6 pounds. So about two a week. I'm at 156 right now, and at 5'7", I'm finally (barely) out of the "overweight" range. I've been fighting to escape that range for years.
Problem is, I feel fatter than before I revamped (measurements are going down, working out multiple times a week and lots of cardio). I know that I'm just starting to move in the right direction again, and I completely understand not seeing positive results at this point, but I feel BIGGER! I can barely look in the mirror!
In addition to this, I'm having trouble meeting my calories for the day without feeling horribly guilty. Even if I eat healthily all day. It's like I have some sense of pride when my daily net calories are super low, even though I know that it is not healthy. We went away this weekend to go to Comic Con and I ate all of my calories both days, but I couldn't bring myself to log the food (I still calculated how many it was). The weekend didn't cause me to gain any weight (even though I felt like I should have gained ten pounds for being negligent by eating all of my calories) Wtf, I obviously shouldn't have felt bad about that.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing these feelings, does anyone who feels similarly have any advice on how to deal with the guilt and handle this problem?

Replies

• cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone in one way or another has have felt what your feeling right now. I know I have. There are days that I look in the mirror and be like WTF and look huge then there are other days where I am looking good. I always notice its when I am working out that I look the heaviest. I read that after you workout your muscles swell some because of the blood being pushed into them. I am totally with you with not wanting to log in when you over ate ( i have had those days lol) but I still log because I can be more of a motivator of me needing to go exercise more. Or ask myself why did I eat so much that day and reassets my food goals. My advice of getting over the feeling bigger. Take a picture of yourself the days you measure and SMILE! If you have a program that will allow you to overlay those pictures you can see the difference that its making. I actually might start doing that this week. Welcome to join me on that =D
  • thegingerpirate
    thegingerpirate Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I may have to start doing the pictures, that's a good idea. It' just demoralizing to feel bigger the harder you try lol. I just needed a bit of a boost today because it feels like everything is backfiring even though I know it's not and it makes me want to be unhealthy. I'm compensating by buzzing around MFP to feel better :) Thanks for the pick-me-up!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us have been there and I think it comes from years of being "fluffy". I have days where I'm feeling particularly good until I look in the mirror. When that happens I focus on my face because that is where I see the biggest difference. I also look at my before pics and realize how far I've come. Also if you still have some, try on your larger size clothes to see how big they have gotten on you.
  • cjazz72
    cjazz72 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your welcome. I definitely had those F-it I want to eat unhealthy and over eat. Especailly if I work out so hard and never lost a ib. But yeah try to pictures see if that helps ya move from those negative thoughts. Remember to smile help boost the self confidence