Working out for a noobie...

Options
shel0158
shel0158 Posts: 31 Member
Wondering if I should take a day of rest. They say if you are not used to working out that you should only work out 1 day then take a day off, then work out another day and another day off, continued... then week 2 work out 2 days with one day off, and so on. I have worked out 3 days in a row with no days off wondering if I should forge ahead or take a day off. I am not used to exercising at all. This is new for me.

Replies

• nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. When you're Lifting Heavy, you want recovery time on certain muscles.
    When starting out, do what YOU need to do so you do not burn out.

Are you creating your own program or following something specific?
  • shel0158
    Options
    I am just winging it, I am rotating Zumba, and Tae Bo. As for Food, I am not used to eating more then 1 to 2 a day so I am trying to get that worked out as well. This site helps because it wants to know what I ate for each meal. So it encourages me to eat. When not hungry it is hard to make myself, so this site helps with that.
  • annael25
    annael25 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to working out as well and I just go by my own routine. I haven't taken a day off, but sometimes I don't push myself as hard. Maybe I'll only exercise 15-20 minutes one day instead of my usual workout. Do give yourself a break if you are feeling burnt out!
  • shel0158
    Options
    Not feeling burnt out, just very sore. I let myself go to the point of 355 pounds. I am wanting to turn that around and get healthy again. My question was raised because I do not want to hurt myself.
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started working out again about a week ago after stoping for a month.

Let me tell you my body kills! But I am not stopping! I work out 6 days a week alternating between hot yoga and going to the gym.

I am afraid to stop or slow down because I know I'll stop going all together. Pain is good and sore muscles means its working.

I drink lots of water, if I need to I'll take an ibprofin for the pain but just know your body and even though its sore, its a good sore so keep at it!!
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It really is personal. I had never done anything fitness-wise or athletic when I started working out. At first I did work out almost everyday. I had momentum for the first time and was enjoying it and I wasn't overly sore or fatigued. And I was dropping weight like crazy! Now that I have been at this for a few years and have increased the intensity/difficulty of my workouts I do need more rest. My weight loss plateaued and I felt sore all the time. Now I workout 3-4 days a week and rest the others.
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    start slow you don't want to burn out I'd do 3 to 5 days a week to start whatever you feel comfortable with. I haven't worked out in 5 days because I've been sick. driving me crazy. when I was heavy I'd start by worrying about my diet then slowly get into working out this way when cutting calories wasn't working I'd start exercising to boost my metabolism into high gear. just a suggestion, read OP posts and see what you think will work for you. good luck on your journey