Train movement, not muscles.

Options
Having come late to gymnastics from a fitness background, I’ve come to realise one of the shortcomings of traditional, gym-based strength training: I may be comparatively strong, but I am a terrible mover!
The emphasis of strength training programs is on the development of muscle groups within certain ranges of motion and standard anatomical alignments. Whilst it is a good adjunct to other training, it only very marginally helps with quality of movement.
As such, even though strength training constitutes one of the main points of focus of the gym-based fitness industry, it is very limited in scope: training muscles before movement results in an approach that is more geared towards aesthetics, and less so towards function.
To give an example: if I want to train pull ups to develop my lats, I will probably do them in a somewhat restricted anatomical plane and range of motion (typically, wide grip pull ups). To progress the exercise, I will gradually reduce the assistance, then increase the resistance by doing them weighted.
On the other hand, if I start playing with the exercise, I will learn to brachiate. I will experiment with archer and uneven pull ups, with a variety of grips and hand holds; I will progress on to muscle ups, to one arm pull ups… I will begin to move and use functional patterns.
This is not to say the two are mutually exclusive: they shouldn’t be. But machines, isolation exercises, and weighted progressions all prioritise muscle development over movement. And in doing so, they ignore an essential component of fitness.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The emphasis of strength training programs is on the development of muscle groups within certain ranges of motion and standard anatomical alignments. Whilst it is a good adjunct to other training, it only very marginally helps with quality of movement.

Many programs are guilty of this, but there are many programs that prioritize training movement skills.. for example, New Rules of Lifting For Life, or Crossfit. These programs train both strength and a diversity of coordination skills.
    I will experiment with archer and uneven pull ups, with a variety of grips and hand holds; I will progress on to muscle ups, to one arm pull ups… I will begin to move and use functional patterns.

The degree of how "functional" an exercise is depends on how closely it simulates the neuromuscular demands of a target activity. So if you wanted to improve at rock-climbing for example, an archer pull-up might be more functional than a barbell deadlift or goblet squat. But if you want to prepare for moving heavy things, like furniture, the deadlift or goblet squat would be more functional than pull-ups. Farmer's Walks and Stair Walks would come in handy for that too.

Being able to move one's bodyweight is a great start, but incorporating other training methods is essential for general conditioning.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I don't need to lift 425 lbs off the floor. I enjoy doing it, though. I'd bet you don't need to hold yourself horizontally from a light pole, but it sure looks like you enjoy it.

I do things I enjoy without regard for how they impact my physically non-demanding business career. If I were an athlete (amateur or professional) I would re-evaluate my training. If I were being chased by carnivorous animals every day, I would re-evaluate my training. I'm not, so I do what I like. Next step is running. Never could do that well. Then swimming. Spent 20 years in the Navy and I was a rock. And then yoga. I suspect the yoga will be the hardest of the 3.

Tom