LIfting while sore

Options
I know I'm supposed to give muscles 48 hours to recover before lifting again. But what if I'm still sore after the 48 hours? Is it okay to lift when sore? Or should I use lighter weights?

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    As long as you have given them the appropriate rest period you should be fine, assuming you aren't so sore you can barely walk! Generally I find that warming my muscles up in another workout actually helps get rid of that soreness.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think this partially depends on differentiating between soreness and stiffness caused by use, and soreness resulting from injury. If you're just tender from working out, feel free to lift after your rest period. If you think it may be due to actual injury such as a pull, then it will need to be catered to. Often asymmetry is a sign of injury.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You should be fine lifting while sore. Get in some extra stretching time and make sure you're hydrated. Stop if you feel pain!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You're fine so long as you've given them the proper recovery time...I'm pretty much always a little bit sore somewhere.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I wasn't a little bit sore somewhere. It's nbd.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm not really sore from workouts at this point- just old and cruncy- but being tired and kind of always crunchy is just a thing. It's a state of being.

Much like when I'm cutting- I'm always hungry- you just get used to it LOL
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    lol
  • if I waited until I wasn't sore, nothing would get done....

I do like it rough
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    U can work your abs every day even if they're still sore, they have poor muscle memory. The other parts of your body you should work every other day and do cardio the days in between.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

I'm not really sore from workouts at this point- just old and cruncy- but being tired and kind of always crunchy is just a thing. It's a state of being.

Much like when I'm cutting- I'm always hungry- you just get used to it LOL

I totally agree, except I'm not at cutting and bulking yet, give me a year.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

At my age I expect to be a little sore all the time. Doesn't slow me down though.
  • andyho90475069
    andyho90475069 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: When I'm like that I put under armour on (cheap ones are fine)!

Do some warm up n your muscles will warm up quicker then you can get back to training!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    U can work your abs every day even if they're still sore, they have poor muscle memory. The other parts of your body you should work every other day and do cardio the days in between.

Even this is not 100% accurate. If your programming is designed around more frequent lifting, you can lift more frequently. If you're destroying yourself every workout, you need more rest. I squatted yesterday, then squatted today, and then the next 4 days, I'll be squatting. But it has to be done with a purpose that matches both your goals and the rest of your program.