i ran....ok so i very slowly jogged

Options
2»

Replies

• TommyJensen1987
    Options
    You didn't run slowly. You ran so fast that it wasn't even possible for you to see all the people sitting in/on their couches doing nothing at all.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    for the first time ever yesterday as i was walking on my treadmill i thought to myself i would love to be able to run on this thing like i see all the biggest loser contestants doing! so i did! i turned it up just a little to where it was to fast for me to walk and i ran. only for 30 seconds at a time but i did that 4 times! it may not be a huge goal for some of you but i am very proud of myself!! so toot toot go me!

That's awesome! :) It's how I worked up to being able to run a 5k. Slowly! When I first started jogging, I could go for less than a minute at a time. After maybe 8 months I could run for 10 minutes at a time, then a few months later I ran 2 miles straight, last year I ran 3 miles without stopping and felt awesome about it. It helped me to set little goals, like "run 2 min at a time," "run 5 min at a time," "complete 1 mile," this worked very well for me. Now I try to run a 5k on the treadmill once a week.

I've been able to increase my speed recently from 4.5mph (which used to be a real struggle for me) to around 5 or 5.5 average, and sometimes I do 6mph dashes for a minute or so at a time. All this from starting exactly like you did... running for a few seconds or minutes at a time.

Congrats and keep at it!!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'll second the couch to 5k app! I recently finished the program but I'm not up to a full 5k yet. BUT I can run 3 miles in 32 minutes. 32 minutes of straight running! If you would have asked me a year ago if I could have done it I would have laughed in your face.

Good news; since 5K = 3.1 miles, you're pretty much there!!
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't sell yourself short! That is amazing. My first successful attempt at running was for 2 blocks. When I realized I didn't die, I downloaded a C25K app and started training. Last summer, 2 weeks before my 30th birthday, I ran a whole mile nonstop for the first time in my ENTIRE life. By the end of the summer and fall I was running 5Ks and even did a 10K run on my own. This spring I'm signed up for a Half Marathon. Baby steps become great strides! Take pride in your accomplishment!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    It's a huge deal! :flowerforyou: I'll chime in with the C25K love. I did it last year and was absolutely amazed that I could eventually run for any period of time. It's an incredible feeling.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    Yaaayyy! Great stuff, just be warned it gets addictive the more you do it!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    that IS awesome, because I can't jog on a treadmill. I feel like I'm going to fall off :laugh:
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Woop-woop!! It's a great achievement!
    I used to only walk on the treadmill too, did exactly the same as you and found that I could run - who'd have guessed? Then (like lots of previous posters) I did the C25K, after 6 weeks I ran my first non-stop 5K in about 45 minutes, since then my time has come down to about 33. I used to joke that if you saw me running then you'd better run too but now I love running - welcome to the club! :flowerforyou:
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did the same today... Except that I did outside. I walked 90 sec and jogged 60. I did it 3 times.. ha...Much more to come I hope!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    WHOOP WHOOP!

Thats how I started too!

Yay you!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    lol... love the title...I always tell people "I run... well I run\walk" lol
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    That's all it takes! Now work it into your exercise every time :smile: That's how I, like several others started. And today I walk/jogged for half an hour straight, with 12 minutes of jogging total. You don't need to be a rockstar right out of the gate! Just try to reach new places for you. You're doing great!
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    High five to you! That's more than a lot of people do and is how I got started. You got this!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Fabulous! That is running:)
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    How you started was how I did back in September. I'd been walking on treadmills for 4 months, varying the incline, and really wanted to run. So I did and after 30 seconds was knackered!!

Now I run 5ks weekly and can run and run and run!! It's the best.

Don't rush and you'll be fine.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Hooray ! Thats a great accomplishment! step by step !
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    .......Or you can Google Jeff Galloway and his method of running and walking in intervals. It's the way I "run" and I've completed a couple dozen races that way including 8 half marathons.

^^THIS! :smile:

I started the C25K and it really helped me get started and made me realize I could do anything I set my mind to. Personally, I prefer the running/walking intervals instead of straight running, but again that's just my preference. I run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute. I run 3 miles Tues/Thurs and 6 miles on Saturday like this. Will compete in my first 10K on March 1st. I NEVER EVER ran before I started the C25K, so if I can do it, YOU FOR SURE can do it!

While you're motivating yourself, do check out Jeff Galloway's website. It's worth the look.

And again, GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought a slow jog could count as a run. I hesitated all this time because I thought it wasn't the right way to run but decided to just do it anyway. Now it's getting easier to do and I think I can maybe do a 5K by spring. I love reading all the people offering support that helps motivate me also.
  • Skylark74
    Skylark74 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sooo - using the OP as a positive influence I gave it a try myself tonight and was astounded that I was able to jog for a whole minute at the end of my 30 minutes.

I agree with all the other posters about getting addictive and I've only been using my treadmill since the middle of Jan.

I think I shall toddle off to the android store and have a look at the C25K app myslef on this basis.

Cheers All, and continued hurrahs for the OP :flowerforyou:
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sooo - using the OP as a positive influence I gave it a try myself tonight and was astounded that I was able to jog for a whole minute at the end of my 30 minutes.

I agree with all the other posters about getting addictive and I've only been using my treadmill since the middle of Jan.

I think I shall toddle off to the android store and have a look at the C25K app myslef on this basis.

Cheers All, and continued hurrahs for the OP :flowerforyou:

Awesome!!