New

Options
I am just starting on this site today but I started my new diet the 29th of Jan. I am down 19.6 pounds as of today. Any advice would be great.

Replies

• SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a fantastic loss. Try to stay in your calorie limit and log everyday. Great work !!!
  • marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I do have a question should i go based on what this tells me for calories or can i change it and still lose weight if i eat at least 1200 but don't go over what the site told me
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You lost almost 20 lbs in less than 2 weeks ?!
  • marygirl05
    Options
    Yes I did. I am being over seen by a dr. most of it i will say was most likely soda because that is all i was drinking all day everyday and i have had no soda since the 29th only water.
  • hip_hippo
    Options
    I do have a question should i go based on what this tells me for calories or can i change it and still lose weight if i eat at least 1200 but don't go over what the site told me

That depends, are you exersising? and what is your BMR

If you are exersing don't I have done this and I completely stopped losing weight your body will start eating you muscles and you don't want that. also I am 5'2 my BMR (the amout of calories i burn each day just to be alive, I would burn these calories each day even if i were in a coma) it about 1350. Eating less then your BMR will only cause problem in the long run try eating you BMR plus 150 calories each that (thats my sweet spot) your might be a little different you can tweek it a little up or down to find yours.

EDIT*** Thats my sweetspot for weightloss that includes exercise I should say I can eat 50 over my BMR with out exersice... but you burn more fat and less everything else when you exersice

Calculate you BMR Here
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • marygirl05
    Options
    I do exercise and my BMR is You have a BMR of 2094.58. (I know that is a lot that is why i am here and losing weight)
  • hip_hippo
    Options
    yeah 1200 really wouldn't be condusive to healthy weightloss... Having said that when I was losing weight people told me that all the time, but I had to see it to beleieve it I tried 1200 a day again and again for myself before I realized they were right.

It's not considered healthy to eat below your BMR. However if you need to see what happens try it for a couple weeks to a month, at your own risk, you will see two things happen you will be unbelieveably hungrey and you should stop losing weight. but you will loose musclemass too (you might even feel faint if you do eat something right away), then when you will up you calories to and start losing weight.

Not every one is like me, I had to see it for myself to believe it. it greatly delayed my weightloss and I almost gave up at one point, but I don't regret it for a second. thats personally how I learn. people will tell you this is bad advice and it is, but if you need to see it to understand then so be it.

Eating about 2250 calories a day (adjust it every 15lbs of weightloss or you will plateau) should put you at a weightloss rate of between 1lb a week and 2llbs a week depending on the speed of your metablisim and how much exersice you are getting.
  • marygirl05
    Options
    Ok i called my dr to see what he said and he told me i can eat 1800 cal a day 300 carbs and 7 grams of fat? does that sound about right i mean that is what he told me and I can tell today I am hungery. every other day I have been ok. he also told me no snacks during the day
  • hip_hippo
    Options
    If your doctor said 1800 calories I would think you could get away with it... However personally I don't believe in limiting fuel sources. I think the limitation of calories is great because you can get all your fuel (fats[mono and poly that is] carbs, proteins) and nutrients in less calories (condensed nutrition) . It good to limit excess fuel sources, but of course it’s not as simple as it sounds as you have to know how much you need of what in the first place.

When I lost weight I actually up my fat(mono and poly) and of course protein because it help me fell full with less food, and without as much sugar my body, I was burning fat all the time not sugar. I needed it.

I really don't feel comfortable arguing with someone’s dr though as I don't have a PHD work in the Medical, nutrition or wellness fields, In fact I make maps for a living. I also don't know you medical history.

It’s a hard place to be in right at the beginning. Trying learning one new thing each day about health, nutrition or weight loss, in no time you will feel a lot more confident and success will be yours.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I do exercise and my BMR is You have a BMR of 2094.58. (I know that is a lot that is why i am here and losing weight)

Is your BMR from a test, or from a website estimate? If it is the latter, then it might not be accurate. My BMR appears to be somewhat lower than what websites estimate, based on the difference between my actual weight loss and what MFP thinks I should lose at a given number of calories. (I'm probably missing some calories I eat, too.)
  • marygirl05
    Options
    It is from a website
  • hip_hippo
    Options

Is your BMR from a test, or from a website estimate? If it is the latter, then it might not be accurate. My BMR appears to be somewhat lower than what websites estimate, based on the difference between my actual weight loss and what MFP thinks I should lose at a given number of calories. (I'm probably missing some calories I eat, too.)

That is a really good point, Thank you Bwigilive for meantioning that, but you can get a fairly accuate estimate of you metabolic rate by calculating your weekly weightloss (deficit + what you actually ate) if you lose 1.3 llb a week as a monthly average you know your deficite was around 650 per day. A BMR/ AMR Calculator is a start gives you a starting point.