I hate cardio!!

Options
Really hate doing cardio but my weightloss progress has stalled for 5 weeks now. Guess I'm going to have to kick the cardio back up. I'll miss you weights...
Anyone feel my pain?

Replies

• moniker_74
    moniker_74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love cardio, but definitely agree that you should mix it up if you've stalled out. Do you work out on your own or do you belong to a gym? I do group Interval Training classes which are high cardio and also include weights (or at least body weight training). good luck!
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It's exhausting but it feel so good to finish it! :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's not one or the other .. no need to miss your weights.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'd look at your food, not cardio, you probably are eating a little more than you think, especially if you arent measuring, or recording more burn for weights than you actually do and eating calories back, etc...
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    I agree with Moniker on the Interval Training Classes -- that is what I do right now with a local class. It incorporates some cardio exercise (like short runs, jump ropes, jumping jacks) along with weights (squats, thrusters, pushups, etc). It's interesting to see that doing weights at high reps and at a quick speed can produce cardio results too! Check your local gyms or try searching for a local "Cross Fit" class. I promise you will NOT stall anymore! :)

Good luck!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Do HIIT style cardio.

Short 20-30 minutes of cardio at a high/intense pace with minimal rest between sets.

Not only does this burn calories like a mother f-bomb it's done within a short time span.

Also lift weights. Change things up. Do heavy sets (3 to 5 sets within 70-80% of your max). Do light sets (8 to 12 sets, 10 to 15 reps).

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/proven-way-melt-fat-fast
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your food, not cardio, you probably are eating a little more than you think, especially if you arent measuring, or recording more burn for weights than you actually do and eating calories back, etc...

+1
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Really hate doing cardio but my weightloss progress has stalled for 5 weeks now. Guess I'm going to have to kick the cardio back up. I'll miss you weights...
    Anyone feel my pain?

What do you mean by "cardio"?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Me too!!
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered HIIT. An internet search will turn up dozens of websites and workouts to kick things up a notch. I love that I can do these in 15 minutes at home before work. Many workouts require no equipment--just your own body weight.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    What lifting program are you using?

And why in the world would you stop?

Just add cardio a few days a week, or take a look at your food intake. Are you measuring and weighing all your food? If not, you are likely underestimating what you are eating.

ETA if your diary was public, folks could potentially make better suggestions.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options

+1

++ Calories is for weight loss, cardio and lifting is for fitness...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You should be doing cardio for cardiovascular health - not for weight loss. If your weight loss is stalled, the problem isn't with your cardio routine but rather with your diet.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Why would you stop lifting weights?! I lift heavy to lose fat. Unless your goal is to lose weight by dropping muscle mass. . .
  • Jillian11905
    Jillian11905 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I lift weights, I always do about 30 to 45 minutes of cardio. Instead of giving up lifting, just dig a little deeper and finish off your strength training session with 30 mins of cardio. Doing that along with eating right will guarantee results.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, cardio and weights are not mutually exclusive! They provide different benefits that complement each other.

Second, what kind of cardio have you tried? Some of my faves:

hula hooping
    swimming
    Zumba
    Lindy hop
    bike riding
    Wii fit/ EA active for Wii
    walking on the beach
    kayaking
    jamming out to my favorite tunes
    kickboxing
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Body weight circuits > Cardio
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yep, I understand, I hate cardio too!

The good news is that you don't have to give up or cut down on weights,, chances are you just need a slightly larger calorie deficit. How you create that, depends on you. As we lose weight, we generally need less calories than before to lose the same amount each week (you have less mass, less energy needed each day)

What's your current intake like, is there any way you can reduce this a couple hundred calories? That could be all it takes, and generally is all I do when I'm not losing as I want. If not, then you may have to up the exercise instead. What's your current routine like, cardio/weights split, how many days spent in the gym? etc You could do this by upping the cardio, or taking on more of an intensive/high volume lifting routine (sort of like circuits with weights) or a combination of the two. You could even just add an extra lifting day in, if you can. It doesn't have to be major, just enough to see a change and get things moving.

If you decide to add some cardio in, there's lots of options besides the traditional steady state cardio such as running, or going on the elliptical like many people opt for. You could include your interest in lifting, into your cardio. If it gets your HR up, it's cardio IMO. What about strongman/woman type exercises. If they're available to you (I know my gym doesn't provide any except a tire) you've got tire flipping, farmers walk, sled push, yolk....or a body pump class. That's basically cardio with weights.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that makes me sad.
    i get such a high 7 days a week from it
    i burn 1000 calories a day~!
    I LOVE IT!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel my pain?

There's no need to give up weights! Do what you love to do! If you still want to get some cardio in - Can you switch it up to make it more interesting? What type of cardio are you doing?