Lifting after concussion

Options
Long story short, I whacked my head hard enough to give my self a concussion on Saturday afternoon. It would make me feel better if I could tell you that this was a hockey injury, but in reality I'm a klutz and hit the corner of a bookshelf when I bent down to pick something up.. Anyway, I went to go get it checked out since I blacked out at the time and now have a big bump on my forehead, doctors told me that I didnt break anything but my pride and to just take it easy for a few days, come back if symptoms worsen, etc

For a couple days my vision would go blurred at times, I haven't been able to consistently think clearly on command (makes med school more of a challenge) but overall, I'm healing up pretty well. Symptoms are getting better everyday. So now it's Tuesday, and I realized I hadn't lifted since Friday, which means I'm two days behind where I would've been had I not been given the grace of an injured wildebeast in jello.. Monday is usually my leg day so I figured I'd start there, generally my routine takes about an hour plus a little HIIT afterwards.. I picked up some lighter weights than I'm used to and managed to get through a couple sets, maybe twenty minutes, which brought me to air squats - and it felt like the floor was pulled out from underneath me. The room spun, luckily i sat down before I fell down, sipped water, and waited.. Five minutes later I was able to get up and walk around without wobbling. Five. Minutes.

I hate this.

So I understand that these things take time to heal and I know I should listen to my body. But does anyone else have experience with this? How long might it take before I can get back to lifting 6 days a week? As for today, leg day is over. Should I even bother trying tomorrow?

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    concussion protocal from the NFL more or less is get through the day without symtoms, then light cardio w/o symtoms, then more intenese activity w/o symtoms. And they do all the pre and post tests, that I assume you haven't done.

Article from the Mayo clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/general-medical/diagnosing-treating-sports-related-concussion

basically, get symtom free then ease back into it.

And "stop knocking yourself the F-out!!" Sorry, had to say it. :wink:
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Had a few concussions from football. The first one I was lifting (even though I was told not to) like 4 days after it happened. The last one was a lot worse and wasn't able to lift for a month or so.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    REST until fully better.

I had a concussion 3 years ago and I STILL suffer from symptoms.

A few weeks of rest is not going to make a big difference for your goals in the long run.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Definitely rest until you're recovered.

I had one the week of Thanksgiving...I was getting something out of the back of my (hatchback) car and the hatch fell and smashed me in the head.

I was off work for a week and had short-term memory issues for a few weeks after that.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options

And "stop knocking yourself the F-out!!" Sorry, had to say it. :wink:

But it's what I'm good at! I have to play to my strengths, right? :laugh:
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input so far.. Checking out the article right now

As far as resting, I'm not concerned with losing progress since I'm not training for anything in particular. I don't have any deadlines with my goals. Rest is just... frustrating. I spent years being lazy and I'm scared that I'll slide back into old habits of not doing anything if I don't do something. Does that make any sense? I do realize that resting to get well trumps everything else though.. I thought I was pretty much better until today, talk about a humbling experience
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input so far.. Checking out the article right now

As far as resting, I'm not concerned with losing progress since I'm not training for anything in particular. I don't have any deadlines with my goals. Rest is just... frustrating. I spent years being lazy and I'm scared that I'll slide back into old habits of not doing anything if I don't do something. Does that make any sense? I do realize that resting to get well trumps everything else though.. I thought I was pretty much better until today, talk about a humbling experience

That makes total sense! I understand what you're saying now.

BUT I think that recognizing that shows you have a different mindset now. How about asking people to hold you accountable? Use your pals here to check in on your recovery and to encourage you to get back at it when you're ready. That's what pals are for :smile: